NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, gentlemen. I finally did it. I caught me a good size Red today in my kayak. It's been roughly 6 weeks since I've even touched a fish because I was trying to figure out this whole saltwater fishing thing. Id get skunked, come home, read about fishing, ask you guys for tips, go back out, try some different stuff, get skunked, do it all over again.

Today seemed like like another one of those. Took my yak out of Slocum creek. Tooled around and found some specks topwater feeding. Got a couple short strikes on my spook jr and then the bite cooled down. Went up the creek a bit more and spent a good amount of time snagged up on several different objects (rookie) then started getting real frustrated. I came across some stumps and laid down trees and decided to try my hand there and start heading back. I tossed my z-man paddle tail on a jighead in and felt that pole bend like it's never bent before! Crushed it! Then let the fight begin! I immediately knew it was a red on his first run, drag screaming and still pulling me around in the yak! I've never personally had one on the line, let alone in a yak. I wish someone woulda got a video of me, probably woulda won some money on America's Funniest Videos. Man that dude could fight. After 3 good runs I got him to the boat. Sorry for the quality of the pics. Adrenaline was rushing, hands were shaking. Made for a great day!

I want to thank everyone for putting up with my stupid questions and taking time to give me tips and advice. I really appreciate it. Best day of fishing in a very long time.

Tight lines,
Dillard

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool....now head to Oriental in 3 weeks at get a 50 incher....Same way...little bigger bait.
50 incher in the kayak?! I could barely handle this one!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
847 Posts
Congrats but sadly your going down the path so many of us on here have gone down. There's no turning back now!!

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats but sadly your going down the path so many of us on here have gone down. There's no turning back now!!

Welcome to the addiction!!!!
Haha, after a fight like that, I knew there was no turning back. That was awesome!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Oh yea! Put that baby between a couple of Ritz crackers and you got a tasty treat. Just kidding. I've been skunked on my last 5 trips as in zero, zilch, nada, nothing goose eggs. Wait until you get the upper slot red. It will make that one seem like a bream.
Good luck and make sure to share your technique for success. I'm about to change my approach. It involves cash and a fish market. That is if they will even sell me one :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yea! Put that baby between a couple of Ritz crackers and you got a tasty treat. Just kidding. I've been skunked on my last 5 trips as in zero, zilch, nada, nothing goose eggs. Wait until you get the upper slot red. It will make that one seem like a bream.
Good luck and make sure to share your technique for success. I'm about to change my approach. It involves cash and a fish market. That is if they will even sell me one :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Hahaha! That's how I felt. Even up until I caught that one I was getting ready to sell my kayak and give away my tackle.... (Not seriously)... But I was getting so frustrated. He may not be the biggest red in the world, but it's a good start for a rookie.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great job man! Now comes the fun part where you spend half your salary chasing that buzz again!

Others may disagree, but I still say they are the greatest of all fish!
Dear god I'm hoping it's not another 6 weeks before I catch another!! Haha, not to mention all the $ I've spent on tackle and something to get me on the water... But heck, right now I'm saying it's worth it.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Great job man! Now comes the fun part where you spend half your salary chasing that buzz again!

Others may disagree, but I still say they are the greatest of all fish!
Wow! that is a bold statement and I am glad you mentioned it. I don't know if I could decide what is the greatest fish of all but I would put an upper slot red (Slot gets the nod for me because I can keep/eat it) caught on top water as a top three personally. I think #1 would be the huge codfish I was catching way back in the late 1970's. They took so much pain to get with the incredibly cold and almost always rough conditions that hitting them was great payment. I used to say pulling up 50 pounders was like hauling in bags of money because the amount of meat that a fish that size would yield was very sizeable.
I'm not going to get any love for cod here at NCangler but thought they should get a mention.
Maybe the greatest fish for many would be the last one they caught.
Not meaning to hijack the thread so again, congrats on that catch. Catch one on top water and tell us how it compares to this very first one.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Congrats again on the first red. It's a beatiful fish indeed. Golden bronze, sometimes lighter with a blue tail, sometimes one spot or maybe several spots. When he hits it he means business, and just when you think you got'em he will burn some more drag. No matter how many I catch, I always get an adrenalin rush when the next one takes it and goes with it. Go get another one and tell me if I'm right!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts