NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several trips and countless hours, I finally found a good place to catch some large redbreast bream. After several hours of fighting our way down river, we got into an area that looked like no one had fished it for a long time. Right away we started hooking up with some huge redbreast. Some close to 1lb. We also caught our limit of bluegill. Several over 1lb.
The fight in a large redbreast compared to a bluegill is like comparing a largemouth to a smally. They're an amazing fish. If I can ever catch one over 1.5lb, he's going on the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
nice catch!!.....catching a 1.5 lb redbreast will probably be equal to a 17lb largemouth....biggest one I have caught was in Contentnea creek and she went 1.2 lbs on scales.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talking to the old timers, back in the 70's.a 2 lb redbreast was not all that uncommon. I have no proof, but I've heard that several times over the years. They thought nothing of it, that wasn't a trophy that was dinner.
Big redbreast are getting scarce but I believe one could still be hiding in there somewhere.
One of the 8 we caught Friday had to be pushing 1lb.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
I think it's great that your hard work paid off for you. Congrats, those are some nice fish!

Reactions: f-150 and RouseD

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Talking to the old timers, back in the 70's.a 2 lb redbreast was not all that uncommon. I have no proof, but I've heard that several times over the years. They thought nothing of it, that wasn't a trophy that was dinner.
Big redbreast are getting scarce but I believe one could still be hiding in there somewhere.
One of the 8 we caught Friday had to be pushing 1lb.
not to hijack but I doubt here were many 2lbers....a few maybe....remember most guys back then didn't carry scales and most guys think a 1.25 lber is a 2 lber...

the ifga word record is 1 lb 12 oz ....same as nc and the Alabama record is 1lb 5 oz......doubt there were many legit 2lbers....shellcrackers, bream yes. redbreast, no.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Killing the dream man.....just killing it!
Lol.
I know how people are. That's why I said "talking to some old timers".
But, I hope they're is some truth to the legend. I'd love to catch one over 1.5lb.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I agree with Mack and was about to post the same thing. Nothing is impossible but unlikely would be a better term.

Hardly anyone presently weighs panfish, certainly not then. The panfish is one of the most overshot fish as far as weight is concerned. This is because nobody sees the large specimens often.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since we're discussing it, what's a good brand of accurate fish scales?Preferably digital.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Since we're discussing it, what's a good brand of accurate fish scales?Preferably digital.
You can probably go expensive if you'd like but I use a postal scale that works great. It weighs up to 3lbs and it's digital. Compact too. Very handy. Keep it in a tough ziploc bag when weighing fish so the moisture doesn't do what it does to electronics.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
State - your picture looks like it has had some work done. :D

Very unlike my stories, which are completely accurate. :rolleyes:

Growing up in the south, I had wild caught panfish for dinner many times. I can say that the math seems to have changed. It used to be that one per person was more than enough and there were often a few that fed a couple of people. I think those were in the 2# range.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I can't get the photo to upload from my phone but, I caught 2 redbreast yesterday that were as big as my hand. Weighted them on my scale 12 and 13oz. Lost one that looked bigger than both of those. Straightened my cricket hook. ......

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Well, I can't get the photo to upload from my phone but, I caught 2 redbreast yesterday that were as big as my hand. Weighted them on my scale 12 and 13oz. Lost one that looked bigger than both of those. Straightened my cricket hook. ......
I'd like to see them. If you're interested send them to my email and I'll post them for you. Love seeing those fish when they're that size! [email protected]

I'll pm you my cell number so you can just send it there if it's easier....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts