NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I fish new river and the ICW between Camp Lejeune and Surf City. I've been on the water for a couple years now and have located a few spots where I can typicaly find reds depending on the tides. What I would like to know are methods for locating them consistantly on new water. I've heard several different tactics ranging from pounding grass banks and oyster rocks with search baits until you get a fish to rolling around shallow water bays with the minn kota on 10 trying to spook fish so you know where they are. Any input or experiences would be appriciated. I very rarely seem to find these big schools of reds I hear so much about. Every time i've seen them pushing water or tailing in a large school it's been awesome, but the experiencess are few and far between. I fish 3 - 4 days a week and feel like I should be in the fish more often than I am. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply crippledyak. Yeah tide flow, height, and direction are definitely things I'm looking at when choosing an area to start looking for fish. I feel like there's so much bait around now that it's really shown up that I have a difficult time deciding if there's Reds feeding in an area. There's times when it's obvious, but I'm sure I pass up fish and spend too much time in non-productive areas. Experience may be the only cure there. I just wish I could find these big schools of fish pushing head water. The ones that make your knees shake when you're trying to make a cast. Maybe I need to cover more ground. Or maybe I'm fishing the entirely wrong areas. I spend a lot of time in shallow creeks and around the mouths of mosquito canals. Where are people finding these bigger schools? How deep of water? Bigger bays or smaller creeks? Tonight I started out my evening moving down a submerged sand bar with the wind. Following a bunch of bait and throwing topwater, spoons, and soft plastics to no avail. The bar ended at the mouth of a large creek with a lot of bait activity. I posted up for awhile and even threw out live menhaden and cut mullet. nothing. Moved up the creek and spooked a few reds in shallow water, but couldn't get anything to hit a topwater.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Finding Reds is about stealth, clear water, raised platform & oh yeah, putting way too much time on the water.
We search 5 or 6 different places before we were rewarded.
No topwater love for us yesterday, either.
Did manage 12 upper slot & a few over slot Reds from a large school,Harold lost 4 to operator error ........ICM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey nice work ICM! Sounds like I may need to start venturing out and exploring some more water. I'd try to put too much time on the water, but I don't even think thats a real thing is it? "my wife would probably argue that its very real"

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you have 3-4 days a week to spend on the water just keep at it. I get one, maybe two days a week. It can get really discouraging, but I love being out there. Use Google maps and focus on a few areas until you either find something or are sure there are no fish there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you get all your answers. Lots of good red fishermen here, but I am not one of them. Caught my 1st on top water a couple of years ago, and catch one occasionally on a DOA shrimp under a popping cork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.