NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick clip where I show trout that I marked on my sonar and then drop a camera down on them for proof. I did fish a little bit later on and had some strikes. In this particular area when the trout are down on bottom they are feeding but if they're up high in the water they don't do much. Water was 65* and they wanted a swim bait worked slow against the current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYnI46jt5I

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very cool, and I want more! How deep of water was that in and have you found idling over the fish spooks them? For instance, driving over bass in a brush pile in 10' or deeper doesn't stop active fishing from eating but I havent tested this on trout.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool, and I want more! How deep of water was that in and have you found idling over the fish spooks them? For instance, driving over bass in a brush pile in 10' or deeper doesn't stop active fishing from eating but I havent tested this on trout.
Water was 8-10ft. I did have a boat pass at idle at one point in the footage (I legitimately have reviewed 6 hours of it) and to my surprise the fish did not seem to spook. With that said, I was bringing the cord up in another clip and the rope slid through my fingers sending a vibration down that absolutely terrified everything down there. Something further that might interest you and absolutely blew me away. You can still very clearly hear people talking 10ft down. I was told growing up that the fish can't hear you talking. If they can't, it's because they're deaf to human voice frequencies and not because the sound won't travel into the water. Trolling motors and power poles are also insanely loud down there.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Good info, thanks for posting.
Was it a spot you fished before or was it a new find?
What brand of sonar & any special chirp frequencies settings?
Looking forward to the side scan video......ICM

·
Registered
193 Posts
Water was 8-10ft. I did have a boat pass at idle at one point in the footage (I legitimately have reviewed 6 hours of it) and to my surprise the fish did not seem to spook. With that said, I was bringing the cord up in another clip and the rope slid through my fingers sending a vibration down that absolutely terrified everything down there. Something further that might interest you and absolutely blew me away. You can still very clearly hear people talking 10ft down. I was told growing up that the fish can't hear you talking. If they can't, it's because they're deaf to human voice frequencies and not because the sound won't travel into the water. Trolling motors and power poles are also insanely loud down there.
That is good to know and I'd never have guessed that... also sounds like maybe unusual noise = stress, normal noise = no change. I do know when I've marked trout and striper way in the back of deep but very narrow creeks [15 to 20 yd wide, 15'-20' deep with very little vessel traffic normally] in the winter, the fish scatter and disappear and go shut mouthed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts