NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to those that gave me some advice, THANK YOU. I learned a lot, made a few mistakes, had to do some wrapping over again, but I must say it was well worth it. Going to test it out tomorrow on a few Bass.
Hand wrapped the guides, followed the videos on the cork and handle, use the power wrapper for drying the epoxy and have three more rods in que. Man are there a bunch of options on how you can customize the rod.
Office supplies Wood Cable Font Wire
Writing implement Musical instrument Wood Office supplies Musical instrument accessory
Wood Luggage and bags Floor Flooring Audio equipment
Wood Shelf Audio equipment Cable Font
Wood Fixture Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Window Shade Wood Curtain Rectangle

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rod worked very well, but the operator had issues! You know what it is like when the ducks fly over and you shoot and miss. Then the dog gives you "The Look?" My rod did that to me three times this evening. I know I heard it say "What is wrong with you!"

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys. Hooked into a approx. 4 1/2 lbs Bass this afternoon, but broke it off at the boat. Again operator error! I did not look at the rod as I was too afraid.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been wanting to build one as well. What are some tips that you can share after completing your first rod?
Plan on spending a lot of time, which is why I wanted to start this hobby. Both Mudhole and Getbitoutdoors have great videos. I saw one video that said to wrap the guides loose, that was a big mistake.
Be ready to unwrap and start again.
I asked / told the wife it would take about $1000 to get all the equipment and get started and I was right.
It is much cheaper to buy a rod than to build one.
Do it for enjoyment and not think of it as a cost savings.
Have a long table and room to build the rods. We bought a magnifying / light combo from Joanne Fabrics which really helped.
I have found it very enjoyable and looking forward to building many more rods.
Bottom line, lots of time, lots of room, and let your pocket book be your guide!

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you!
Currently doing a marbling job on the next rod to show the wife what we can do on her's. Really, I am having a fun time playing with these things.
Very cool to be playing around and seeing what will happen. If the "Operator" can get his stuff together, all will be good.
Thanks to all. Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.