NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
According to picture number two you went fishing right after work. :p

Congrats on the catches. I guess the 'force' of the fly is with you.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great job on the catch. If you aren't already tying your own flies, you may want to give that a try.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60381

That is a good thread discussing flies to have in NC. In my opinion wooly bugger grhe and elk hair caddis are the musts to learn and all very easy to tie. A popper and a streamer will broaden your selection as well. I loke spider poppets and circus peanut for streamer type fly.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
You're most likely doing much better than I did when 1st got started. I didn't even call what I was doing fly casting until about a year later.
One of the places I started out fly fishing has a tree that looks like a Christmas tree after losing so many flies on it.

Let's use that "getting the hang of it" line very loosely....lost 3 flys already.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice....contagious isn't it....:) You never know what will hammer a small fly.
Addictive is probably a better description. I can't wait to chase something in the rivers with the long rod. Rain isn't helping me though....should return to a manageable flow soon if not already in the smaller waters.....

Elk hair caddis in its mouth? one of my go to flies... Congrats!
You got it....I keep needing to treat it with a dry fly spray to keep it afloat after a while. From what I've read that's a normal thing.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have a craft foam fly that I tie that does very well for bream, and an occasional LMB. I've caught several LMBs with it, up to 4 lbs. Not sure of the cost of me tying, but know it is less than $1, and more like 75 cents and I use a very good hook. The fly is about the size of half the last joint in my little finger, and I use a size 8 hook. I am surprised at the the smaller bream I catch on this fly. The larger ones can get it completely in their mouths, but no so far that I can't get the removed barb hook out easily. It is very easy to tie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts