NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave spinning some hair a try for the first time today, and this is what came of it. No particular pattern, just going for something sculpin-ish. Anything stand out to you guys to work on? Or should I just sell my tying equipment and take up golf? (If you think I suck at tying, you should see me play that)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A washer is a good idea, Lord knows I've got a pile of those laying around. I also stumbled across a wall anchor this morning that looks promising, but the hole may be a little too large.

I appreciate it, Thomas.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone for the advice. I decided to give a mouse pattern a shot today, and packed with an old pen. I was able to get the hair much more firmly packed with this than I was able to do with my fingers. This is the result.

·
Registered
389 Posts
May I reccommend some things?

1) Pack so much hair on the hook so you cannot possibly fit anymore on it. (see picture)
2) Get a "FuglyPacker". This is by far the best packer ive used. Its much larger then standard packers, and it has little guards that prevent your fingers from getting sliced up. You can get these from Hareline. Pat Cohen designed them. You can get them from his website too. search "rusuperfly".
3. Use a double edged razer to trim. When you pack hair this tight, its pretty hard to trim with sissors. It also gives you a much more uniform cut.

I dont consider myself an expert by any means. These are just some things I had to learn the hard way along my way down the long road of deer hair. Your are looking much better then mine did when I first started. It takes alot of time, practice, and deer hair. Keep it up.

Photograph Wood Drum Snapshot Art
Font Electronic device Event Bumper Machine
Hand Plant Finger Red Petal

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Way better than my first attempts at hair. I didn't get nearly enough density and I made these giant shuttlecocks that stayed suspended in the air over my head while I flailed line back and forth. "Did you know there is a hedgehog sleeping in your tacklebox?"&^%$#@!!!

I digress; your hair flies look really good.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again, everyone. ECU, those are some great looking hair bugs. Packing is where I really fall short, with trimming coming in a very close second. I am using razor blades to trim, but I need to work slower and take off a little at a time.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I saw something in my latest issue of Fly Tyer mag that looked like a compression fitting for tubing and pipe, that was used for a hair stacker. I have a hair stacker, but have used it little so far, so not sure about how well the compression fitting would work. Some of our tyers who have been tying for a long time would know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.