NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been buying little bits and pieces of fly gear here and there for a year now (between binges on Bass supplies), and finally got the rod to go with it all. Took it out for the first time today to a wide open pond I live near. All I wanted to do was practice casting - that was comical to say the least! I had a few good tosses and one of them produced this nice little fellow. Even got to watch him come up and take the fly. I can't wait to get out and do more of this!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
practice casting
Quite a few folks will find casting an interesting challenge. But, if you will get some basic instruction...learning will go much easier and much faster. There are some options in the Charlotte area for instruction (which doesn't have to be expensive); there is the Carolina Fly Fishing Club in Huntersville; and I do classes on the basics on a regular basis...often right in the store. There are some good videos at orvis.com and on winstonrods.com

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Quite a few folks will find casting an interesting challenge. But, if you will get some basic instruction...learning will go much easier and much faster. There are some options in the Charlotte area for instruction (which doesn't have to be expensive); there is the Carolina Fly Fishing Club in Huntersville; and I do classes on the basics on a regular basis...often right in the store. There are some good videos at orvis.com and on winstonrods.com
I second that. The act of just watching and listening to someone show you the general aesthetics will assist you in having a greater overall idea of the concept. Nothing replaces hands on demonstration.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's all downhill from here. :) I remember my first fish on a fly rod (brown trout). Barely knew how to get the fly out on the water, but man was it ever fun to see them chase that wooly bugger. Catching them on dry flies is what I'm trying to get down now. I just love seeing them slam it on the surface. Bream are also a fun catch, getting the right fly that dangles just below the surface and seeing them eye it and take it is like a drug to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts