NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another top water I am working on this year are various sizes of spooks. I have a few puppies and juniors, most actually I found in trees, laying on the ground etc. I did purchase a Heddon spook last summer but in all my use all I ever managed was one blowup last year.

So today I tied on my buzz bait, a spook, a popper and a beetle. I started off with the popper and didn't manage anything. So next up was the spook. About the tenth cast I start walking the dog and splash fish on. fish starts running drag and based on fight I know again I have a nice quality fish. fish came up once but I kept rod tip low and never went airborne. This fish stayed deep the whole fight finally giving up. The front hooks were planted in the mouth but the other set had hooked it in the outside skin. Got it up and weighed almost 5# exactly, noticed the red on the tail took the picture and released.

Worked the other baits in my spot and than another spot on lake had a small blowup on the buzz and also on the popper. On the popper it may have been a crappie since crappie were popping the surface like crazy last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think a few more consistent degrees of water temp and top water is gonna really get going.

Reactions: spidey

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! The spook is a classic bait that will always work. It's my favorite top water for daytime fishing. If you want to increase your hook-up percentage, add split rings between the stock metal hook holders and the books. The split rings give the hooks more spherical movement so the hooks stay planted in the fish much better = more fish landed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.