NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NcStateFishermen and I went catfishing yesterday. NSF missed one and then a while later hooked into a hoss that we believe was probably 35-40+ pounds as it just wouldn't budge and eventually broke off. NSF got a nice crappie on a shad spoon and I did get this one bowfin though.
Shorts Bermuda shorts Outdoor recreation Plant Tree
I went back for redemption today and put the first rod out and then as I turned away to start baiting the second I hear zz....zz... and turn around and then the reel starts dumping so i run over and crank down but I missed him. Pulled in a shad with absolutely no scales from the head down and I had nose hooked him!!! I learned my lesson and hooked the next one behind the dorsal fin and threw him back into the same spot.

A few minutes later the bait starts going nuts so I pick up the rod and put it in gear and then the rod slams over in my hands. I yanked him out of the hole but on the way in my line broke. That' s what I get for reusing old line thinking it wouldn't matter. It honestly didn't feel all that big anyways.

Then about an hour later I rebait my other rod and as soon as it hits the water the bait starts going nuts. I put it in the rod holder and as I step back the tip slowly starts to bend over. I picked up the rod and then I feel a hard bump and crank down. I yanked him out of his hole and probably got him about 10 feet out and then he must have realized that something was wrong because he stopped fighting like a log, shook his head, and then the line just started peeling off the reel. This fish was on my light setup, a 6500 size akios that only puts out about 18 pounds of max drag on a 15-30 pound inshore rod. I locked down the drag and started walking up the bank but the line just started peeling off faster. I decided I would rather break the line or the rod than let him rock me up so I put both thumbs on the reel and leaned into it as hard as I could. This rod has landed 35 pound carp and 20 pound channel cats before with ease but on this flathead I really thought it was about to snap. The line was almost touching the blank along the entire rod and the tip was facing straight down towards the fish even as I leaned back into it as much as I could with the base of the rod pointing backwards probably 30 degrees from vertical. I just stood there unable to budge him on that light setup for about 15 seconds before I finally started to gain some line on him again. After a few more short runs I finally got him up. I must really have some good beginners luck because it seems like lately all my new first fish have been really solid: King, American Shad, Flathead... all have been big first fish. I know this one won't be my last though. I'm going back tomorrow after school :D

Smile Food Jaw Seafood Fish Jaw Fisherman Shorts Fish Fishing Shoe Wood Beard Fish People in nature Water Shorts Shoe Plant Water resources

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You better be careful. TSA does not like guys catching their fish out there on those airport ponds---especially the ones behind the fence.

Mack wears a Delta Airlines windbreaker.......................

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You better be careful. TSA does not like guys catching their fish out there on those airport ponds---especially the ones behind the fence.

Mack wears a Delta Airlines windbreaker.......................
:D i know thats not true because mack would just shoot them

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
:D i know thats not true because mack would just shoot them
He called me tonight talking nonsense about catching channel cats on buzzbaits at some new honey hole but said he's not going back there again without major firepower.................something he saw gave him that sketchy feeling. Kinda like I got last week at dawn walking around some dudes trailer with him with pits bulls galore "tied" up with very old clothesline twine so we could catch the early bite the result of which was Nat's Dad one fish lost Mack eight fish caught :rolleyes: If I had a gun then I have shot him after the third fish.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Nice job Aki.......

oh, cut or live bait?????

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice work! Did you get a length on the 'fin? He looks good too. I hooked into one at Harris last friday that was every bit of 30-35 inches on a spinning reel on a medium light rod with a weightless trick. Got him all the way to the yak and his teeth frayed the line and broke off.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No length on the fin. Maybe 6 pounds or so?

kev- I examined its mouth and it had no hooks or marks in it at all.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
No length on the fin. Maybe 6 pounds or so?

kev- I examined its mouth and it had no hooks or marks in it at all.
Just funny that coincidentally in that same spot a 30+lb flathead gets caught every year. It might not be the same fish but I also think a fish can heal and disguise hook marks over the course of a year. It's a nice fish regardless.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nice fish. Very well written report made me feel like I was there. I like the part where you say "tip slowly starts to bend over".
Gotta love them flatties.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
How big of creek or river are you fishing? Depth and width? I've kinda been gathering i'm better off fishing for flatheads with live bait rather than for big blues with cut bait in smaller, slower current areas.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Channel cats. Bottomed out a 18 pound scale before the tail was off the ground. Possibly state records but not allowed to take them from that pond.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts