NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished my first night tournament for bass Monday night. Didn't really have any experience fishing at night. But I was excited to give it a try anyway. I didn't do well at all. Tournament was from 6:30 - 10:30. Caught my 1st fish at 10:27!! Thought I was going to get skunked. Anyway, first place had over 12 pounds. (That's 3 fish) so he whooped everyone. 2nd place was over 6 pounds I think. At least I wasn't the only one who did terrible, some guys only had 2 fish and some 1 fish, so it made me feel somewhat better. I had fun anyway, and I want to do it again soon. For my first night fishing experience, I shouldn't really expect anything better. I finally started getting some bites in one area after going there and trying some different lures. I think I have something to go off of for next time. Any of you guys bass fish at night much? What lures do you use? Do have any advise or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
May not be much help where you are fishing, but when I lived in Knoxville and fished Fort Loudon Lake (Tennesse River) at night I fished relatively shallow areas near deep drop offs at night. Would keep the boat in the deeper water, throw in the shallow water and work it back down the dropoff. Theory was that fish holding in the deeper water would move shallow at night. Also used a black light with florescent mono, seeing the line helped me work the lure correctly. Used smaller dark colored topwaters, slow rolled a spinnerbait and dragged lizard/creature plastics along the bottom.

Think I still have an old blacklight around, you can have it if you want it.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
The guy that took me night fishing at Smith Mountain Lake years ago had a night setup that consisted of blacklights mounted on the gunwhales facing toward the water, and he used the flourescent/clear mono that made the line glow brightly to be able to see where it was and see it move to help detect strikes.

He threw dark colored, usually black, plastic worms at shallow targets and especially riprap at the water line, or buzzbaits typically.

Reactions: mountain_man

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May not be much help where you are fishing, but when I lived in Knoxville and fished Fort Loudon Lake (Tennesse River) at night I fished relatively shallow areas near deep drop offs at night. Would keep the boat in the deeper water, throw in the shallow water and work it back down the dropoff. Theory was that fish holding in the deeper water would move shallow at night. Also used a black light with florescent mono, seeing the line helped me work the lure correctly. Used smaller dark colored topwaters, slow rolled a spinnerbait and dragged lizard/creature plastics along the bottom.

Think I still have an old blacklight around, you can have it if you want it.
Thanks for the offer on the blacklight but we live pretty far apart and I think I have one somewhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a full moon night like last night I'd have been throwing a black buzzbait.
I did.... That is all i threw for a long time. I only had a couple small fish strike it. I just don't think I was fishing the right spots when I was throwing the buzzbait. The last place I fished is where I finally caught one and was getting bites. I think if I had my buzzbait and used it there, then I might have had some luck with it (But it was my last one and I broke it off getting hung up in a bush or tree earlier. haha).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We did well with Zoom(fire tail)worms also. Use the normal "just before dark" lures and when night hits, slow it down and switch lures. This time of year pay attention to the water temps. They will start to drop.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I have tried night fishing a few times, once its dark, I feel I am lost as far as fishing goes.
I feel the way you do, Neil. I am not set up for it, and it really throws me off not being able to see where my bait is landing.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Casting is timing. If you fish at night a while you learn how to see at night. I look at a lot of things to the side instead of straight on. You learn to protect your night vision from light...or you have to start all over. Could take 30 minutes.

As far as set up...there is none other than a good mag light.
I've never been a fan of spotlights. They'll ruin your night vision as well other's night vision more than they will help you get to where you are going. I've always run with standard boat lighting. I know about where obstacles will be or are and flick a mag light on to spot check my proximity.

I'd much rather fish at night for several reasons.
It's not as hot and there is less people. The jet skiers, water skiers, and joy riders are gone home.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I have tried night fishing a few times, once its dark, I feel I am lost as far as fishing goes.
That's one reason I look for the lights. If you find the lights, you find the bait and then the bass. It also helps find the rhythm and distance for casting in the dark for when you move between docks or other lights.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'd much rather fish at night for several reasons.
It's not as hot and there is less people. The jet skiers, water skiers, and joy riders are gone home.
X2

Always enjoy fishing at night.

Speaking mainly of lake fishing, day fishing is for crappie and perch(good eating), night fishing is for bass and cats. During the day I will keep a rod rigged for blowing up bass and those spots that look "bassy". Otherwise it's back to fishing for food.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Bass fishing time for me is whenever there is oxygen in the air. ;)

But I do feel out of sorts fishing at night and I have never gotten used to it.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
That's one reason I look for the lights. If you find the lights, you find the bait and then the bass. It also helps find the rhythm and distance for casting in the dark for when you move between docks or other lights.
Here in the Triangle we dont have any shoreline development to provide light. Having dock lights, houses and such would probably be a help for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.