NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally made it down to Wilmington last weekend. Saturday was a bust (especially if you are a Carolina fan...I am a Wolfpacker so I am used to games like that).....t-storms, wind, rain all day.

I did spend some time with Tex at Tex's Tackle.....he is a former customer so I have known him for a couple of years. And swung by Hook, Line and Paddle talked with Ryan for a long while. Really nice guy and I wish them all the success in the world. But they have a great shop and do have the knowledge to help not only kayakers, but paddle fishermen.

Did watch the video on the new Native peddle drive system. I am a Wildy guy.....but that was quite unique and interesting.

So Sunday, I got on the water around 7 am fishing some marshy backwater area with grass. Reminded me a lot of Jacksonville FL.....where I am going next month for a tournament....and I find fishing these kind of areas/waters to be very difficult. Most of my fishing in Florida was on sand/grass flats where you are stalking fish. Mostly sight casting. Or creeks with pronounced oyster bars and points along mangrove shorelines.

I was able to make out deeper water, found some "bars" and points/cuts along the grass...is that spartina grass? Anyway, lots of casting and very fast drifting when the wind and tide were moving in the same direction. I did manage to get one hit on a DOA Shrimp some little fish who fell off shortly after the strike. I threw DOA Shrimp, MirrODine, the new smaller MirrOLure topwater (cant remember the number or name) and a DOA CAL White Split Tail rigged weedless with the new DOA Hot Head.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Right place wrong time I'd say... chin up! :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Whaaaaa????????????????????

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

THAT's the one for "No You Didn't!!"

Where are the moderators when we need 'em??!!

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If he showed up at the pier like that, I think I'd jump.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I came down. But it wasn't much of a fishing trip. I didn't get your last message till I got back. Sounds like fishing was just tough on Sunday from others I have talked to since going out. And it was a private neighborhood launch that somebody gave me access to for the day. It was to keep me out of the wind back in a marsh, but I dont even know the name of the area.

And great hijacking job by the way.......that really went in a different direction.

Guess I need to hope that the next trip has more favorable conditions. I did enjoy exploring a new area, which is always easier if you can find someone who actually knows the area. The next trip down might be for the Meet and Greet, but I am going to try and get in one more trip prior to that.

The interesting thing, I did get a couple of big trout reports from the Wilmington area (mostly night fishing), and the big trout have been extremely aggressive down in Florida with many 30 plus inch fish being caught each week. It sounds like the east coast trout population is doing fine which bodes for well for the overall fishery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.