NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fishing a "local flow" the other day and wound up with this guy.

I was throwing a small beetle spin, 1/32 ounce I believe, into laydowns and saw a shadow following it as it got close to the boat. Paused my retrieve a little and boom! He was a lot of fun on light tackle.

There were also plenty of fiesty redbreast and some bass mixed in. I missed a few bass that were probably ~2-3lbs and only really caught dinky ones.

It was one of those days when the fish didn't care, as long as it had flash. Had some hits on plastics but ditched them in favor of the spinners the fish couldn't seem to lay off.

It was a great day until..........

I was digging in my bag looking for something and got the yak caught on a log in swift water. I flipped right away and lost a good bit of gear that had been sitting on my lap. To make matters worse, the thing I had been searching my bag for wound up being in the pocket of my life vest all along! I've been off the water the past few days, licking my wounds (nothing physical, just my pride) and waiting for replacement gear to arrive.

Lesson learned!

Still a great day! I'm gaining confidence in my river game with every trip. After getting skunked on basically every river yak trip last summer when I first got the boat, this year has been entirely different. I've caught fish on every trip.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Glad you are learning as you go. Discovering new places and methods on your own is about the most rewarding part of fishing in my opinion.
I have doing this for around 45 years, I started with my Grand Pa using river canes, braided dacron line and chunks of lead form old batteries wrapped around the line. We fished the creek at the back of the farm knotty heads and bream. In the last dew years I have been trying to learn inshore, and river fishing from a yak.

Your absolutely right!!! the discovery is a great part of it, but so is being able to learn from people that know as well. One of the things that I have really enjoyed about this site.

Darrell

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all! Hadn't considered that it might be a redfin, like Swampin said I think it would be really big for one, but I can post a picture that shows off the sides better later. The pattern looks pretty chain like though.

Great meeting you and fishing with you Darrell!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

Funny story, there was actually a group hanging around us for part of the float. They had some big spinners on and were just kinda slapping them down into the water a few feet in front of their boats. On about three separate occasions I saw them hook up and start screaming "It's a ******* muskie fish!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.