NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out for a few hours this evening started off cranking and than a worm with no luck. So I decided to try a popper first. Last year buzz bait was the top water I wanted to learn and had great success with. This year my goal was to learn to fish a spook ( walk the dog ), frogs and poppers. I seem to always use others before the popper but decided today lets see what the popper can do. Very first cast first pop SLAM I see the big swirl and a few seconds later fish is airborne. Based on size I know its a good one. Fish goes airborn once more and I start working it keeping tip low. It tries to get snagged up with some limber but was able to keep it away. Finally after a nice fight and a difficult lipping was able to pull this 5# on board. Only other action tonight was two blow ups on frog one caved in the body not sure how I didn't get a hook set and other was likely a small bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just caught one about that size the other day from what I believed was a pretty much "fished out" pond nearby. I've been fishing 4 and 6 in. worms and decided to try a 10 incher. What the heck there may be a hungry lunker in here. I don't have a scale but I used the guides on my rod to measure him and when I got home I used a tape measure to get the distance between the guides. Turned out to be a little over 20 in. Put up a heckuva fight too making 5-6 airborne attempts to free itself. What I find amazing is how many small guys you can fool with a 10 in. worm. Congrats on another fine catch. I assume it was one of your regular spots close to home too. My daughter lives over that way so I'm going to have to check it out with my grandson one day soon.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which popper did you use? I've been having great luck with the Rebel Pop-R, silver backed color. It's another heart-attack bait.
thats the one I used last night. I have 4 others never tried them since never got a hit but I am gonna use it more again tonight

Reactions: JBassAssassin

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Nice fish, Spidey! I've caught more fish on a Pop'R than any other topwater bait over my lifetime. It's a good solid topwater option for sure, glad you unlocked it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are doing great with the topwater.

Darrell
seems not as good as last year but yesterday afternoon a big bass was chasin bait and I wanted to see how a new frog I picked up worked so for the heck of it tied it on and tossed it in the cove. Ended up wit a 2 pounder, just shows ya sometimes a lure ya don't expect to work at a specific time of day may be the right choice

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.