NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I spent a couple hundred bucks on saltwater gear/rods/tackle and headed out to Surf City where my GF's family has a beach house. Paddled over 4 miles each way finding fishy spots and battled the worst winds, tides, and I've ever experienced and I couldn't catch a red drum to save my life... After two days of trying I only caught one little black drum and a couple crabs so I quit. I said screw it and paddled out to the middle and found some different waters 500 yards offshore, threw my bass pole out with my bass worm hook and a shrimp on it. First cast, and BOOM SON! Caught my first Red Drum!!! It was awesome, I was screaming outloud, YAYYYYYY BABY, because no one could hear me (hopefully). I was beyond excited, catching my first Red Drum. Hours of patience paid off. Guess keeping it simple/back to basics works sometimes too. And for everyone that knows me, you know I fish A LOT, and practice A LOT of catch and release and don't eat a lot of my fish in general. But last night I ate my first Red Drum and it was DELICIOUS!!! I need to fish salt water more often! Plenty to come in the near future!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That is awesome! I still remember the first one I caught bogged down in mud with oyster shells cutting my feet. Ain't nothing like it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Congrats brotha! Nice job getting it done. I'll be headed down Father's Day weekend to fish all day Sunday and Monday. Hope to get my first red from a yak!
Keep it up and don't get discouraged

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
Congrats!!! And don't worry I've caught more than a few drum in my life and I still hoot and holler and look around to see if anyone sees the professional fisherman I am!!! :confused: :rolleyes: :D lol Keep on keepin on!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts