NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...led to my mind racing. since finding out i'd be moving to N. Durham area a week ago, so much will be sent into motion soon. my wife will move here in a couple months at most. i'm shooting for the Christmas time slot. a couple flights between, and at last my Dakota pulling my boat to N.C.
So many questions i'll have, like what are these two caterpillars i just took a pic of crossing paths on the deck? The different plants/trees/birds/bugs..THE OCEAN!.:eek:
Do you find Morel mushrooms in this state?
It will be a special year this fishing/hunting year in Illinios , i'll make sure of that!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the South "ghost".. You are about to discover a whole new world of insects and vermin as well as some of the most unpredictable weather in the world. Pollen like you've never experienced in the spring and a multitude of sinus headaches and funky colds from the weird weather changes in this area... LOL Thats why we love it here in NC !! Oh and don't forget...when you cross from county to county here in our great state, you are actually entering a new Country! with its own dialect and its own traditions... Be very careful as the natives take this very seriously!!!
WELCOME WELCOME!!!!

( I know some of you are gonna read me the riot act over this post...LOL)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
ghost---We Southerners, do sometimes talk funny, like sometimes, we hafta buy a new set of tars to go on our cars, etc., but y'all will find we have hearts of gold-- welcome to North Carolina, NCangler and the South. There don't seem to be many from NC moving North after retirement.:)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You are about to discover a whole new world of insects and vermin as well as some of the most unpredictable weather in the world. Pollen like you've never experienced in the spring and a multitude of sinus headaches
boy drop ya wacked that one on the head but good...

most notable bugs that will make ya scratch..

ticks -got lots of them
the redbug-or crigger- which are like lay chips ya just don't get just ONE!!

spiders that love to build webs right across your porch at night..

the pollen is god awfull -everything turns YELLOW-

remember figurng out the old/new roads thing is the biggest pain in the butt..

but we did have a cold winter -all 2 months of it-as for snow maybe 6" all winter.. word of note NEVER go shopping the day the forcast a severe winter storm.. the old folks will stampede you at the milk and bread isle.-the strangest southern thing i have ever seen-

zooker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have and will be pouring over a few books on N.C... having visited about 6times in a few years, haven't experienced anything that would make me not to move there. so ya, seen some insects and such will working my daughters garden.(lizards also) redbug or criggers sound like maybe what we call chiggers and further south no-see-ums?
also familar with the way i may sound when i say tires or fire.:) (i watch nascar)
also know of how much a deal a couple inches of snow does for your area, but understand ya'll have alot of hills. i'm not planning on bringing my snow-blower...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i have and will be pouring over a few books on N.C... having visited about 6times in a few years, haven't experienced anything that would make me not to move there. so ya, seen some insects and such will working my daughters garden.(lizards also) redbug or criggers sound like maybe what we call chiggers and further south no-see-ums?
also familar with the way i may sound when i say tires or fire.:) (i watch nascar)
also know of how much a deal a couple inches of snow does for your area, but understand ya'll have alot of hills. i'm not planning on bringing my snow-blower...
Yep, snow in the hills. Would you believe it snowed some yesterday? Very little here but a couple inches 20 minutes north of here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just got back from Durham last monday am. glad to see N.C. got some rain this week.
my trip was a party for the wife who is living with my daughter and to going house looking. after a couple weeks of narrowing it down to about 7 places in north Durham, found out 2 of our top 4 homes where sold. actually found one we really liked and when i got home, i called the wife to make a bid. 2 days later we are told the house is sold to someone else.:( it was perfect and would have been a big relief, but Noooooo!

anywho... beat up some big lm bass the last couple months, i'll see if i can post up some pics or hook you up to a video.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
having visited about 6times in a few years, haven't experienced anything that would make me not to move there.
Then you already know that "tea" comes iced and sweetened awfully close to the point of saturation, unless you request otherwise.

Also, when the weather forecast calls for 'scattered showers' or 'scattered storms', they mean SCATTERED. A scattered shower could be only a few blocks in diameter -- the grocery store can get drenched and your yard can stay dry as a bone.

(Can make it interesting to plan afternoon fishing trips.)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome Ghost! I work in downtown Durham but live in SW Wake County. Ditto all of the above on living in NC. Great state! If you can ignore the government.

The main thing is that we are American by birth but Southern by the grace of God! It won't take you long to acclimate especially if you are a sportsman.

Reactions: Dave B.
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just an update... looks like we bought a home in the Horton Hill area, north Durham. my home in Illinios is also in the final stages of being sold. so things are going pretty much as planned. my problem now is this community dosen't allow a boat to sit in the drive. with the trailer it will not fit in the garage either.:( might look into a trailer tongue that swivels or if i read the "rules" i might be able to park it behind the house, out of sight from the street.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Congrats on the house but I'm not living anywhere I can't keep a licensed and functional boat!! POO on them!!! LOL!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
GHOST, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME AN NORTH CAROLINA IS MY HOME, THERE IS THING NO ONE TOLD YOU ABOUT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WEATHER HANG AROUND 10 MIN. AN IT WILL CHANGE, SOMETIME GOOD SOMETIME BAD. GOOD TO HAVE YOU DOWN SOUTH. CHRIS.............

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
just an update... looks like we bought a home in the Horton Hill area, north Durham. my home in Illinios is also in the final stages of being sold. so things are going pretty much as planned. my problem now is this community dosen't allow a boat to sit in the drive. with the trailer it will not fit in the garage either.:( might look into a trailer tongue that swivels or if i read the "rules" i might be able to park it behind the house, out of sight from the street.
That is sad. Darn Yankees! I would drag a couple of scrap cars from the junkyard and park them in the middle of my yard. When your Hoa starts giving you a hard time, you will have some room to negotiate. "Let me park my boat in MY YARD, and I will have the junk cars hauled away."

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That is sad. Darn Yankees! I would drag a couple of scrap cars from the junkyard and park them in the middle of my yard. When your Hoa starts giving you a hard time, you will have some room to negotiate. "Let me park my boat in MY YARD, and I will have the junk cars hauled away."
I am with ya Breadman!

HOA's are gett'n out of hand around here with the influx of yankees. No offense to our northern brothers on the site!

Just don't buy a house where they believe that they can run every aspect of your living space.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just don't buy a house where they believe that they can run every aspect of your living space.
Yeah!-- They are moving in on me--Used to be able to keep a couple bush cars out back (Cars in the bushes)--Not anymore.
We had a friend up from Alabama awhile back, when we turned into my driveway, noticing that the grass had just been cut, she wanted to know if I found anything while cutting grass.:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You might should just tell the HOA that it is temporary. " I'm just parking it there until I can sell this place and move to somewhere with better neighbors." I know from experience that one such place on Keowee Lake in SC has what must be some of the cheapest lots in the state. Some of the builders in the area love it. The real estate people hate it one day and love it the next. The new houses sell pretty easy but the lots get sold for back taxes. People buy a new house without any knowledge of how bad the HOA can be. The people who buy lots often get disgusted with the HOA and back out of building there when they start trying to get approvals from the HOA. The lot sits for a few years and goes on the market at the normal price for such a lot and the locals won't bite. The people moving into the area are looking for houses and not lots. The builders just wait until they get truly disgusted and tired of paying maintenance fees and then pick them up for less than $3000. Some of them refuse to sell so cheap but just quit paying taxes and maintenance fees. Then the builders show up for the tax sale. There is very little competition for them because most builders can't put up with the HOA's either. The real estate people try to hide that little dirty secret because the turnover rate on the houses is so high. The people who stay are the people who love to make rules for everyone else and exert some authority over their neighbors. It being an older development full of people who moved there to retire, it has become the "Nosiest Little Town in the East." I'm not saying Harbor Hills will get that bad, but the potential is always there.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
nice thing about being where i am there is no hoa.. i have had several lovely meetings with the county's finest about me shooting out back.. ok so it WAS 11pm and i WAS using a lil more gun than needed..

zooker

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.