NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I am a college student getting ready to go to vet school. I'm looking to buy a small aluminum boat to practice trolling for trout/salmon/walleye/whatever eats well in some of the larger lakes around here and where I go :). Anyways, I found a boat that seems like a good deal but the owner does not have it registered or titled, and lives in SC. The owner has the registration but never registered it. The boat has a OH stamp on it, and according to the WRC here, I have to contact the last registered owner, thru the DNR in OH, to make sure it is legit. OH doesn't do this because they don't want their residents bothered, when they sold whatever property whenever ago. It is a 12' v-hull so it doesn't have to be titled, by the way.

My questions are, is there an easy way to handle all the red tape, and have a legal vessel? And is there a way to check for leaks without sitting in the boat on water? Plus, any general tips are welcomed!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I would not walk but run quickly away from that and probably any of them from out of state. 15 years ago you could have given me a boat and I could have a salvage title issued over the phone. Those days are gone. Too many stolen boats have come out of Florida in years past. They use "easy states" to clean up the titles before they are actually sold. In other words they get fake sold several times just to "clean" paper. Once they have established a clean back trail the boat gets sold for real.

It's just become a hassle unless you are dealing with something right here in state with title and registration in hand.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ditto on the run away, but as far as finding leaks, if there isn't anything inside the boat you are worried about, filling it with water is a great way to find leaks. If it can get it, it will run out!

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If you find an trout, Salmon, or walleye in any lakes near Charlotte, please let us know!

But I'll join in and agree with the consensus... Not worth your time to deal with the issues likely to occur with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.