NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
that's a vague and open question... but really depends on the type fishin you plan to do and how it will work/fit your needs. Not knowing this or the boat your after... it's hard to say...

One thing though, is... You always want to go as big a boat with close to max hp as the budget allows... Ya never hear anyone complainin about too much horsepower... or too much boat..

Usually 21's come in the 150 to 200 hp ranges... so a 21 ft boat (not knowing what brand/make/model) should pretty much scoot out really well... but speed isnt everything... You'll need to consider deadrise, draft, wet weight and all them other variables... Not knowing what 225 motor.. I would say that's alot of motor and the boat better have enough fuel capacity to feed it..

Without specifics... it's hard to say other than being "general" about suggestions.

Good luck on your boat purchase!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Mine is a 21' with a 150 Yamaha 4-stroke and it does very well salt and fresh water. I agree with Dave though, it depends on the boat and the setup. Sounds like plenty of HP for the boat.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey surf,
I have a 17' Scout that I bought in 95 with a 115 yam on it. It does a good job for me but limits me as to how far I can/will venture out in it. Sometimes I wish I had a larger boat but then there are times I'm glad to have a smaller one because I can get in shallow water with it. I say all that to say look at what you want to do the majority of the time with it. I bought what I could afford at the time plus the kids wanted to do alot of boarding in the waterway so for the family thing smaller was better. Good luck and let us know when you get one.
Gery

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.