NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished delayed harvest before, but I am planning on giving it a shot on Thursday. I've seen on the trout stocking schedule that the Mtichell and SMSP are gonna be stocked on Wednesday, does this mean that these waters will be fishable Thursday? Also, my first time to this area was this past July, and though I caught 30+ chubs, I blanked on trout. Any advice on how to catch these fish? Lastly, open invite to anybody who wants to go.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If you've never fished delayed harvest make sure you understand the regulations. It's catch and release only while using a single hook lure or fly. No artificial or real bait is allowed. Even with those regulations you can use a two fly setup. Also called a dropper rig. Usually freshly stocked fish aren't that picky. You could actually catch quite a few just using wooly buggers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm no noob, but I don't get a chance to trout fish much, and being low on cash, this is the least expensive way to catch a trout for me. Does anybody have a preference in places to start? Last time I started at the Mitchell and finished in stone mountain state park

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think DH is a good place to begin.... Sometimes it is crowded especially on streams like Mitchell and Stone just after stocking and on Saturdays....but sometimes there are amazingly few anglers. I think most of the DH water can provide good learning situations and environments and often some very aggressive, active fish....that get "educated" and more stubborn a little quicker than many of us would like.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you're spin casting pick up some Joe Flies spinners at Bass Pro in Cary on the ride up. There is a stinger treble hook attached by monofilament line that would need to be clipped off to use on DH waters. I use these on all types of streams and they have never let me down. Caught 30+ on a DH stream last year using one. If your fly fishing Kev2380's advice is good. Good luck!

Wanted to post my apologies for mentioning spin casting in the fly section :-/
I had a major surgery involving areas very near my brain a few weeks ago and I think my head was a little foggy when I posted originally :)

·
Banned
324 Posts
I'm awfully new to fly fishing for trout and I found the DH portions to be loads of fun as at the same time you are catching fish, you can learn plenty. Never underestimate a day of catching good fish while practicing casts, knots and getting know know your flies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.