NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rented a kayak this weekend and went fishing on New River, was not an ocean kayak or open top, was a one man enclosed kayak with 2 storage compartments. I took 2 poles, 1 small tackle box, and a couple gatorades. Where the **** do you put everything?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have a small to medium sized soft cooler that fits between my knees. I carry an insulated lunch cooler inside that with a couple of water bottles, one of which I freeze, and my lunch. I have tackle in assorted small boxes - the little 6 or 8 compartment ones - sorted out by different types. So I might take 2 or 3 of them depending on the type of fishing I am doing. they go in the soft cooler; I use it like a big tackle box. I have rod holders. I have a pair of fish grips and a pair of pliers (both the plastic floating kind from BPS) tethered and lay those on the front deck. I am pretty jammed in there with that arrangement. The tradeoff is that the little SIK is 39# empty and only about 50# with gear, was cheap and is fine for day trips for a minimalist like myself. Most people prefer SOTs and I will have one myself before long. They will carry more that is easily accessed but they are generally heavier, slower (or more correct to say it takes a little more effort to go the same speed) and more expensive. For most people who want to fish out of a yak, the SOT is a better choice though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rental Kayaks are not typically set up for fishing....... There are outfitters around (some on this site) that have fleets of canoes and kayaks set up to fish with......... If you just went and rented one of those plastic pups from somewhere you probably were lacking in the "best way" to go........... There are a lot of folks on here that have set those types up to accommodate fishing but that's time, add on, preference type stuff................ If you don't mind me asking, who did you rent from ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that you might not be getting the true experience. I would try to find a friend with a couple of fishing kayaks to try it out or consider a kayak fishing guide who can give you instruction and experience. I know that Ncpierman is in Swansboro and I am at Topsail, we both do kayak charters. I don't know who might be around Havelock but I am sure you can find someone. Be warned that kayak fishing is addictive and could cause you to need to purchase your own kayak shortly after being infected.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I suffered for years with a cramped p.o.j. get a nice Kayak....makes a world of difference.
Be careful....your garage may soon like this....I may need an Intervention...

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Agree with Catmaster, you'll love yourself, the boat, and fishing more if you save up for a nice kayak. I loved fishing out of a canoe though, and they're cheaper. Used to fish every weekend in the Gulf in a canoe, held the GF, cooler, and gear no problem.

Ever thought about getting a wall mount system catmaster to free up some room?

At not to be a worry-monger, but I've heard that it's not good for the hull to store kayaks hull-down. Heard it can warp the hull and mess with the tracking of the boat, and it's better to store them upside-down or on their side, but hull-down on some open cell foam is fine too. Out of paranoia, I store mine (tarpon 140) upside-down on some sawhorses

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Cheap way to wall mount a yak: I took a wide ratchet strap and hung it from a beam, the other end of course hangs down freely. I took that end where the hook is and ran it through my yak's side handle and hooked the hook back to the strap about a foot above the handle. Works perfectly and I basically used $0 since I had stuff lying around.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If it gets really hot and it sits that way a long time there could be slight deformation. Also anything that doesn't support the middle might get a tiny bit of gravity sag. You'll get a curve up instead of down if you invert it but unless it is really hot or the yak is really heavy or is stored with stuff stacked on it, it is likely to be pretty negligible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like a cheap and easy way to hang up your yak wademaster. All I've got to work with now is outdoor space, and I've been considering switching to something like that setup with a rafter then burrito-wrapping the yak in a tarp.

I've never had any issues with warping yet either, but I've just seen some posts in other forums where folks say that they've had issues. (example1 example2) (if I'm not supposed to link external forums, just let me know and I'll remove the links. I'm not promoting other sites, just sharing google searched links)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I've never had any issues with warping yet either, but I've just seen some posts in other forums where folks say that they've had issues. (example1 example2) (if I'm not supposed to link external forums, just let me know and I'll remove the links. I'm not promoting other sites, just sharing google searched links)
From your first link:
I store my yaks upside down from the ceiling of my garage or on their side. So far, the warpage has been minimal.
That's what I was getting at. Best case is reducing the bend in plastic, not eliminating it. Look up what the word plastic means.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Sounds like a cheap and easy way to hang up your yak wademaster. All I've got to work with now is outdoor space, and I've been considering switching to something like that setup with a rafter then burrito-wrapping the yak in a tarp.

The idea I posted will work outside as well if there's an available rafter or anything around a shed or building....good luck

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts