NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking out some of the topics on here and had a few questions and this looked like a place I could get some "educated" answers! I am from Illinois and go fishing quite often, but will be in Wilmington from the 24-28 of May and wanted to try to catch something different (saltwater)! We are planning on fishing off of a pier but I was looking for some tips (I plan on going out and scouting and maybe asking a few guys some questions first that appear to know what they are doing).

1. The most important thing: I have no saltwater fishing equipment and was wondering if anybody knows where the best places to rent a rod and reel, and buy the tack and bait to go with it would be.

2. Also, what Piers are the best to fish from (cost, how busy, number and type of fish, best times, etc.)

3. What are some good rigs to know ahead of time for pier fishing and what types of bait would be best for catching a variety of fish (type and size).

Thanks in advance for any tips and helpful advice!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hey there - you've found the right spot, there are a lot of folks that will be able to provide even better info, but here's what I'd start with the tackle you will use.
The first rule of thumb is don't over tackle. A lot of folks think that saltwater means really big gear. If you fish frequently, chances are, you have gear that will tackle the saltwater just fine. I use 8 to 12 pound test mono, or 20# braid. A reel in the 2000-4000 range is plenty for my needs. The most important thing to remember is that saltwater is REALLY tough on reels and rod. Rinse it extremely well, wipe it down after each use if you do bring your freshwater gear down. I'm not sure renting something would be a great idea, the quality of what you rent will be what you'd expect - pretty rough.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Lots of piers along the coast rent rod/reel combos for the day to fish off their pier. Simple 2 hook bottom rig with fresh shrimp or Fishbites bloodworm or clam bait should do the trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.