NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family & I are headed to New Bern for the first time. My Dad & I would like to do some fishing around that area. My Dad has a 17' Key West flats boat.

Would guys be willing to share any tips for fishing in this area? What's biting right now? Dead bait, artificials, or live bait? Any info you can share would be appreciated.

We mostly fish in FL around Stuart & in Key Largo. If any of you ever decide to fish down that way, I would be glad to share tips.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi BamBam and welcome to NCangler.com and NC. I haven't fished around the New Bern area so I'll let someone else speak to the specifics there. But I wanted to mention that a few more miles down the road in Havelock is one of our NC Angler Sponsor members (Luremaker) Lew at Lew's Rod and Reel/Stumphugger Baits (506 E. Main St. Havelock, NC 28532 (252)447.8880). Lew would be able to give you some great information on what is biting, where and what to use. Post some pictures and fishing reports when you're up here. ;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I actually stopped by Lew's today and got to meet THE MAN HIMSELF!! :D

I'm shorebound this weekend, but if I'd have had the time to take the boy fishing, I'd have tried out my new lures in Lawson Creek Park, right beside the US70 bridge. It's got several ramps and at least one dock. Looks like you can get to lots of places from there with a 17' flats boat.

(If you're going downtown in New Bern, be aware that the drawbridge along the marina is being repaired. You'll need to take 70 to either the Pembroke Rd. interchange or the US-17 interchange to get to downtown.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
go down to Oriental, its about 30 mins away from New Bern. There are big red fish, and small ones bitting really good right now. There are many forums in here about redfishing in September.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I lost my link to this part of the site. I posted my report under the NC Coast section. I am pretty happy with how we've done considering being in a new area & how windy it's been.

We had boat trouble right as we got back to the ramp yesterday, so we may or may not get to fish today or tomorrow.

Thanks again!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sorry to hear about the boat. Theres a city park in New Bern right off hwy 70 and I think theres a few other places around where you can fish from shore. Your not far from the coast and you can hit a pier too if all else fails!! Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.