NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with a bit of help and generosity from a number of people I was able to participate in the Hardcore Kayak Fishing Club's Keep It Real Tournament today. I was using a loaned FeelFree Lure 11.5, a wonderful boat, especially for a beginner. Someone also loaned me a measuring board which made taking pics possible!

The day started poorly for me. Having never fished in a kayak before my morning was spent retrieving snags, re-tie ing break offs, and fixing backlash. Then, while re-entering my kayak after taking a leak, I soundly dunked myself in Mountain Island Lake, soaking everything and losing a pair of forceps. :( I later learned that this happened because I had foolishly brought a banana on my boat.

SO after ditching the banana I worked all kinds of structure with everything I could think of. Round about 11 I finally hooked up with my first fish of the day on an Arkie shakey head jig with Zoom Black Grape Finesse worm. It was a little 11in guy. Either way as my first fish I had to take a picture so I could prove I hadn't been skunked.

The bite was really tough and nothing was being caught except way up under docks in the shade. I think the high pressure pushed the fish down.

My next fish hit a red flake yama senko off the end of a dock, and hit it hard. Unfortunately it was a channel cat. I clipped him to my stringer to give to the raptor center to feed the birds and kept fishing.

I had little luck for a while so I switched the senko to a Zoom Baby Brush Hog in Watermelon Red with a split shot about 10 in up. I found a nice little opening between some rocks and flipped it in. On the fall I got hit hard and pulled out a 16.25 incher which would end up winning the Big Fish money for the day!

Lastly, about 30min before check in, I picked up a 14" on more rocks with a shakey head, this time with a june bug shakey head worm.

All in all a good day on the lake and I'm am totally ruined on buying a yak. Its happening ASAP.

A big thanks to the Hardcore boys for being welcoming. Phantom for hooking me up with a loaner, and Adam at HFP for actually loaning me the boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Awesome! Those Hardcore boys are a great bunch of guys! Come fish the RiverBassin tourney in Charlotte this Saturday!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice way to pull out the day!!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Sorry about the dunking, but the bananna will get you. Glad that you had a good time with them HardCore boys.

Darrell

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad fish weren't the only thing to get hooked out there :D I got skunked on a couple trips before I learned my lesson about bananas. Finally a friend saw me loading my snack into the boat and yelled asking what the **** I thought I was doing. He explained, we caught a ton of fish, and now I won't even eat a banana with my breakfast on days I'm going fishing. If it's in your stomach it's on the boat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Great job man! Glad you had some fun with us, and made some $$$$

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Those Hardcore Boys are terrific. Glad you had a good and productive first outing. And the banana jinx is REAL. But I guess you figured that out by now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts