NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try Harris for the first time this weekend with my son. We've got a gheenoe with a 9.9 that gets it around pretty good. Would love to get on some bass or a pickerel. I'm guessing the fish have started to go deep? Drag a Carolina rig in 15' of water? Not looking for a secret honey hole, just a good place to put in (we're coming from durham)and a few tips for this time of year there. We catch and release only.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Along with your bass gear bring an ultralight rig to play with the massive numbers of white perch that can be found all over the lake busting shad. It's better for the lake to remove them and they are tasty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like there is a north ramp and a southern ramp. Any preference of one end of the lake over another? Still shallow huh? I guess just find a cove. Is there lily pads or just try and find some downed trees?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Looks like there is a north ramp and a southern ramp. Any preference of one end of the lake over another? Still shallow huh? I guess just find a cove. Is there lily pads or just try and find some downed trees?
There are lily pads just north of the bridge. I have never been too crazy about them; they get worked a lot. I haven't been in a month or so, so I am not sure what the weeds are like right now but the weed edges can be as good or better than the timber. If you launch near the dam, if you keep shore on your left you will get to a big shallow cove within a few minutes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. Will post pics if get into them. Looks like the weather may be challenging this weekend but I'm sure we'll go sometime. Any place to get some live minnows near there? Or a place to throw a cast net?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Again my disclaimer - it has been about a month since I was last there, but I was there about 3 times in the month before that and a lot of coves had bait thick in them; rippling the top of the water. I fish artificial so I did not try netting. BTW, there is a new regulation this year and you can now keep white perch that you net.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I perfer the southern ramp myself. It is in a more protected area which makes it alot easier if you have to load up by yourself. There is a store right off of US1 at the Old US1 exit that sells live bait.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We ended up getting out there Sunday AM and the weather was overcast and rainy. I got 2 bass to the boat before they shook the hook but they were in the 12-14" range. After we got home I saw there was a bass tournament on Saturday the day before and the winner brought in 34lbs of fish so we know they are there...

I got the 2 bites on a shaky head jig with black 12" worm on it. Overall I like the lake and it seems like it might be a little easier to figure out than falls lake as far as the fish go.

Thanks for the assistance guys and maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.