NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working in Upstate Ny this past week and found some time to fish the Black River. I had been trying for some smallmouths when that failed to produce I decided to call it quits. As I was driving out headed back to the hotel, I spot several trout rising in a pool. There was a large Blue Grey colored Mayfly so, I tied on the closest thing that I had to match the hatch. On the first cast this trout slurped it right down. I ended up with a mixed bag of Browns and Rainbows and learned alot in an hour and half of fishing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Congrats.

There ain't nothing like it...OK, except for human "spawning season"...and it keeps getting better everytime.

I spent several years catching trout on my fly rod with live worms and nymphs before I caught my first one on a dry fly. I even went thru a dry fly purist phase for about 2 years.

Even better is first one on a dry fly that I tied. Did you tie yours?

I even remember the first time I caught the hatch and hooked a bunch on dries. I was a slow learner. Looks like you are putting the peices together real quick.

Enjoy every minute of it. I did.

Again, congrats and may you have many more days like that soon,

Derek

PS. A few years ago I went up to Long Lake in the Adorondike's and caught tons of big smallies, small pike, and the occasional largemouth. Beautiful area. Here are pics if you have too much time on your hands...
http://www.derekspace.net/fishpic1.htm

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Pics. I'd love to get into some Smallies like that . The biggest ones that I have caught so far have been about 10 inches. I still want to go after some of those pike . I have a freind who owns a lake in NY that has a large number of Big Pike but I haven't had the oppourtunity to hit that water. Maybe, next time.

I haven't carried many Dry flies in my boxes because I didn't think that I would run into the occassion to use them . I have since reevaluated my thinking and ordered several Dry patterns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Shoot Backlash you don't have to go all the way to NY for trout on the fly come on out to WNC, 20 minutes from Asheville we have world class trout waters some of which are 30 feet from the parking spot and some a 5 mile hike. As far as carrying flies around you don't need to carry the fly shop around just a nice little selection. I generally carry 4 boxes in the vest and have 4-6 boxes in the bag in the truck if I'm on smallie/trout water I carry an assortment to cover both if it's just smallies a different assortment and if just trout another different assortment. The nicest thing about having the fly assortment on hand is they never go bad and never dry up and as they get old they don;t stink up coolers like them pesky nanners.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to fish WNC but it just happens that I work for a company in Upstate NY and the factory sets right beside some Trout water. So, when I visit the factory I always take my Fly rod along. I'm still learning alot about fly fishing so, my Trout patterns have been pretty sparse and I barely have any dry flies.

Any advice about basic patterns and sizes for my boxes?

·
Registered
171 Posts
well there are abouit 20 zillion flies out there and every store you go in will tell you that there is that one special fly that always works on certain water.
My advice is go back to the basics on types ie: mayfly patterns, caddis patterns, and midge patterns, with some terrestials.
I carry 3- 4 sizes of mayfly's sizes12 or 14 to 22 in a couple basic colors, blackish, brownish yellowish and light tannish. Same thing in caddis patterns. a good indicator is look at the time of year if it's green out use summer type colors greens yellows etc. if fall use fall leaf type colors.
You notice I use ish on my descriptions I may have a couple different yellow mayflies but they are tied by a different tier so there will be some subtle differences in color, don't worry about it.
Midges are kind of a specialty fishing thing I personally love midge fishing but as i get older and the eyes start to go I find myself doing it less and less. again use a variety of colors but keep them real small.
Terrestials are a blast. Grasshoppers , beetles, bees bring out big fish, make sure you have some and if you see any around the stream you are on get ready to tye one on. I usually don't start with them but if I see them around I start paying attention to thier behavior. A good tip if you hear a huge gulp throw a big hopper at the hole that was just left in the water.

·
Registered
696 Posts
NCTrouter is dead on about everything he said.

I also did a lot of streamer fishing for trout but those seem to do better real early or real late in the season. In NC, November to March is the best time for woolybuggers and feather streamers (like a Grey Ghost) and never hit the water without a few clousers. Some of my biggest trout have been fooled by a Clouser.

Oh yeah, he is also right about WNC being over run with great trout streams. And there is also the French Broad for some big smallies. Right now is a great time for the smallies because the water is low and much of it is wadable now. There are 3 pound smallies in the FB. Also the New River near Virginia is one awsome smallie river. I really like the South Fork. Very wadable and good access.

Where do you guys fish in NC?

I lived in Brevard for 7-8 years and fished all over Pisgah Forest and some in the Great Smokies. I still never covered it all but just scratched the surface.

Good streams...
Davidson River
South Mills
East Fork Pigeon (not as productive but great scenery)
upper reaches have good Brook trout
Whitewater
Chattooga
Cattaloochee
Ocunaluftee
Lost Cove
Panthertown
Any Delayed Harvest, if you are not a wild trout purist

Derek

·
Registered
2 Posts
derekp & backlash,

Just wanted to say thanks for your pics. and posts about fly fishing on the Black River and lakes in the Adirondack Mountains.

I lived in the area all my life untill moving south ten years ago (50 now) and fly fished the area- black river, west canada creek, mohawk river, east & west branches of fish creek, salmon river, and alots of smaller streams. Lived in a very small place called Woodgate on Rt.28 below Old Forge. Pics. make me home sick. Oh, I do miss ice fishing.

Lurked here for awhile, learned some, never saw a need to post untill I found your posts. I think I'll get out my fly rods and fly vice and reminisce for awhile, thanks guys.

o2bfishn (fly)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o2bfishin- Welcome aboard. Glad that we could rekindle your Fly Fishing fire. I've been to Old Forge a couple of times now. I've even lost a few hard earned dollars to the fly shop in Old Forge Hardware. The upstate Ny area is definately one of my favorite places to visit. I missed the Salmon run this year but I'm looking forward to a spring trip for Steelhead.

I hope that we'll being reading more of your post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Backlash,

If you been to Old Forge Hardware you got everything a man could need, - great place.

The Moose River down stream from Minnehaha and just up stream from Nelson Lake has some good small mouth bass fishing, long section of flat, deep water, not a bad brookie spot ether. Easy to cast flys in that area.

The Black River below Forestport and above Boonville is nice. Start at the Hawkinsville dam and drive along Edmonds Road and River Road (you are going up stream) any were along that section holds good trout. Watch the rocks and deep holes, spots in this section can be hard to wade.

The best fly fishing is West Canada Creek below Hinckley Reservoir, tail waters, great hatchs all season long, lots of large browns and room to cast. I think its one of the best places the state has to offer- and I haved fished all over the state. North of Hinckley belongs to the brookies, if there's water it can be great too.

I see your a fan of Patrick McManus, writes like how I grew up and how I onced lived, got all of his books, love him.

o2bfishn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.