NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing yet again today and I get a hit on top. After a couple of seconds I felt like it had to be a short drum which is all I've been after. I started reeling it in, "in a hurry" red and saw it was this 16" Trout. By no means a fish to boast about but it was a first for me. I caught it while drifting and I guess I spooked whatever others may have been there because it was one and done.
I was looking forward to eating it but I guess I left it on the stringer too long. It was deader than dead after two hours of fishing and moving and it had a fishy odor while cooking and it. I took a couple of bites and threw it away which really irritated me. Drum are much hardier for sure. I've dragged the around for hours and never had one die on a stringer. Trout are pretty but drum "real fish" imoho.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found what I was talking about?
I don't recall? This fish was in VA Creek as usual. I was drifting across a deeper section and I got this one. This is the second Trout I've heard of coming out of here and the other one a buddy of mine got in the same place. He says the Trout lay at the bottom of the deep areas and wait for something to swim above and they pounce on them. I don't know anything about about Trout fishing other than pure basics so I don't know if this is their behavior. Regardless I'm not targeting Trout until it's cooler out. Just my opinion but the fight is weak and I'm not about to put a cooler on my kayak. Later this month and on through whenever I'll catch and keep them. I got some last year and never had any taste and smell fishy.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drag them around on a stringer all day long and they usually die. I've never had one taste bad because of this. As does every other FISH, they do taste and smell "fishy", but then again if they tasted like chicken I would probably just buy chicken ;)
Chicken are easier to catch too😁 but that's probably just me.
I've eaten dozens of drum this year and have never sensed the slightest fish odor or taste???
I know flounder meat for instance gets mealy if it gets too warm but I don't know if Trout do. The meat was as firm as a freshly dead one?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to answer this because I was drifting and this Creek has a couple of sections that go (at high tide) from 2' to 8'+ in only a yard or so. I was drifting and put my stake pole in after landing the fish so I had traveled a bit from wind. I poles back to where I though I was when I made the cast but I don't know if I was in the right spot. I know the general area I was in has an unusually deep "channel" of about 2-3' deeper than the surrounds. It's maybe a 7' wide channel that runs only about 20-30' before flattening out.
I saw a fair amount of shrimp jumping in small numbers, nothing like drum smashing bait though. I also am hearing a slurping sound a lot when I'm out there for drum. It is a distinctive sound and it's nothing like mullet or any spooked bait. Could this be the slurping sound Trout make? As mentioned I'm Trout ignorant so sorry for the question

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Trout have more odor than drum. I actually don't care for "fishy" fish. I seldom eat trout. It was fine though, you had nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know. I ate a few last year and never got that smell/taste. I understand that fish have a fish smell but there is a distinct difference between the "fresh fish" smell, which has an almost sweet quality, and a fishy smell from one that just isn't right. When I cook fresh fish I never get that fishy smell. I mean anyone can walk in and say, "oh, you're cooking fish" when fish is cooked obviously. I'm talking about an acrid smell that sort of lingers in the sinuses and reminds one of the shrimp boat dock at low tide. It wasn't that smelly but I hope I'm making my case.
As a test I gave it to the neighbors cat. It took one sniff, did a 360* reverse back flip, took a convincing swipe at me and then ran into the street where a car turned it into a grease spot. NOW tell me that fish was ok
I'm cooking some drum I thawed out this AM right after this boring post. I froze it whole but cleaned and just finished fillet and skinning and there is only the usual fresh fish smell. Generally there is a cat hanging around when I clean a fish but.......... well........... I don't want to get into that. It's just too soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I caught a 4lb flounder off Staten Island and It smelled weird My brother started to clean it smelled sour and it didn't even make to the cooking/taste phase. I have caught and eaten lots of flounder and this was a first. Fish looked fine fought good and looked healthy but had a sour decay type odor. In 2011 4.09 billion pounds of toxic chemicals were disposed of or released into the environment in the USA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.