NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used to catch plenty of trout on flies years ago on the west coast and had tried fly fishing the ponds here in the Charlotte areas a few times without any luck.
We've got a neighborhood pond with carp, sunfish, catfish, and bass.
We've tried lots of stuff there, but have only ever caught anything on worms. A few carp, a couple small bass, and lots of sunfish.
But a couple days ago, my daughter and I went out and weren't getting any bites with worms.
So I pulled out the fly rod and small white Betts popper and caught 3 sunfish in about 10 minutes.
Next goal is to get a decent sized bass.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Man, there are many fun things you can do with a Fly rod - I've caught Tarpon on the fly, tailing redfish, took a shot at bonefish, but there is NOTHING more fun than tossing poppers at hungry bream. What a ball, especially when you compete w/ your buddy to see who can break a hundred in an hour.

:)

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Keep on casting, lots of fish like a popper. Here are a few ideas to chase our finny quarry.

Topwater foam head flies, streamers, chartreuse San Juan worms, orange/black bugs all take their share of bass and shellcracker/bluegills. These were caught on Wednesday and ate on Thursday....:) I tie my own flies so I can make them any color and size for the target species of fish.
Vertebrate Fishing net Fish hook Fish Fish products

Plant Fish Watercourse Grass Seafood

Eye Reptile Human body Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

Jaw Seafood Fish Wood Fish products

Fish Fin Tail Scaled reptile Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I love catching bream on top water flies, but have done well at times with a Crappie Candy fly in white and chartreuse, and on a chamois worm fly. Both of those flies can be found on youtube with tying instructions. I love the chamois worm. It has lots of movement. On youtube, there is a nun tying the chamois worm. It is a super simple fly to tie. Never tried it myself, but if you're not a purist, adding some scent to the chamois worm should help with more hook ups.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hit the neighborhood pond again and the water is definitely warming up.
I got my first bass on a fly. A nice sized fish on my first cast, with the same white Bett's popper I've been using for the bream.
My 6 and 11 yr olds also both got quite a few fish.
My 6 yr old got one he could barely lift out of the water.

Water Smile Shorts Shirt Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.