NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made my first weldon rock fishin trip with billy suggs today . all i can say is it is unbelieveable at the fishin there right now during the spawn . we caught between 150 to 175 on live minnows , plastic jerk shads , and top water baits . the top water action is second to none when they exsplode on it and we had stedy action on top for 2 hours . yes i'm worned out and got to go relax in a tub of water for awhile . the pics tell the story best !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Awesome place for sure. glad you guys had a good trip.
Been a few years for me at Weldon. I always used large minnow's.
Do they bite the atrificial just as good?
If so what would be the go to artificial?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome place for sure. Glad you guys had a good trip.
Been a few years for me at weldon. I always used large minnow's.
Do they bite the atrificial just as good?
If so what would be the go to artificial?
andy , yesterday they bit zoom white jerk baits and top water chug bugs just as good as the large minnows .the top water action was awesome for 2 hours .

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks Curtis, I guess it takes a 1/4 oz to get the jerkbait down to the bottom.

Topwater early morning and late evening.

Maybe the rain won't mess things up.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Curtis, I guess it takes a 1/4 oz to get the jerkbait down to the bottom.

Topwater early morning and late evening.

Maybe the rain won't mess things up.
andy , we used 3/8 oz and the top water bite was 12 noon til 2 pm , didn't get any better than that !!!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I've been told from my friends that do recreational kayaking in that area that when the fish are running they turn loose a lot of water making the current pretty bloody fast. Looks like some pretty nasty current in the first pic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Straight across from the ramp is a long eddy that you could hold your kayak in. I would think twice about getting too far down from the ramp. Lots of water volume, and nasty things can happen when you anchor a small vessel in current. LOTS of boat traffic as well. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Cool deal. Thinking About Sunday.
It's been 3-4 yrs since I was up there, but I used to see yaks right across from the ramp and also other pockets along the first 1/4 mile of the river. As mentioned there is no reason to go any farther that that. More than likely the fish will be holding from the ramp downstream to the rock and or the first creek on the left. You should be able to get out of the stronger current along that stretch.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts