NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job that requires me to travel all over the country and I pass by the best fishing spots in the country. Last year, I decided that I begin to take advantage of the situation and I bought a 4pc TFO 4wt and an 8wt that now go everywhere that I go. Also, I began tying my own flies last year and I have become addicted to the scope that Fly Fishing has to offer. Yesterday, I met with a group of people I work with who took me out to the Black River in Upstate NY. They fished with natural bait while I beat the water with my Fly Rod and a Egg Sucking Leech pattern that I tied. I know it's not an NC fish but I feel very fortunate that my first Wild Brown was 16 Inches and caught on my own fly and I wanted to share with all of you. Thanks Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Cool Tom! Hey feel free to add some of your custom Fly Ties in the "Fly Ties" database via the link above. Also, I hope you'll join AmericanAngler.US since you travel so much. You can add a post about fishing in each of the places you travel too across the US! ;) There is a Fly Ties database there as well. I just started that site this week.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Wow - what a thrill! I don't tie flies but I do make my own rigs for King fishing and tie a bunch of bucktails for stripers and the lot. There is a huge satisfaction in catching a fish on something you hand crafted. I hope you catch many more on those flies!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Backlash,
nice work. It is very cool when you start catching fish on your own flies. I too, have become addicted to flyfishing and tying. I wish my job gave me those opportunities. Keep posting, we need some more flyfishing posts.

·
Registered
574 Posts
What part of NY. My father's family is from the Watertown area, right on the Black river. That place goes nuts in the fall (Sept) when the salmon run starts. Shoulder to shoulder along the banks for miles and you can walk from boat to boat to cross the river, there's so many.

Congrats on the brown.

·
Registered
574 Posts
That's a different kind of fishing than anything else I've ever seen. I really wish I had done more of that with my da before he gave it up.

Something else that amazed me....With all those guys fishing on the banks, if one guy hooks up everyone and I mean EVERYONE just gets out of the way and cheers him on. These are the same guys that won't wave back to you when you passed them on the street, much less smile or say 'good morning'. Fishing even makes yankees tolerable ;).

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with you about their hospitality. The people in Upstate New York are just as country and down to earth as any of us. Everytime I visit someone always has a day of fishing planned for me and you just can't beat that.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.