NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Huminbird LCR400 series portable fishfinder now on my boat. It does an ok job of telling me the depth but has proven very unreliable otherwise... I'm ready to upgrade. I will be in water less than 40ft most of the time and I don't want/need GPS.
I would like to be able to follow thermoclines and get water temp. As ususal I don't want to "break the bank" either.... I don't need poratability either...... Suggestions??

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
My preferences lean toward either Lowrance or Humminbird products. Since you are upgrading color Fishfinders are the way to go. The screens are much easier to veiw and variations in the colors help with determining hard or soft bottom and relative fish sizes. Also, the pixels the better the screen definition and I prefer units with at least 480. I would recommend one of the following:

Lowrance X67C
Hummingbird 141C

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Backlash I like the color units too but that's a bit out of my price range new..

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Eagle 400 DF would be a great deal for ya there Drop.. not alot of money. The prices on the Eagle 400 and 300's drop'd by half from 3 years ago. Same unit as Lowrance,, just minus a couple features.

Solid units and excellent bang for the $ ;)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sundrop, I have just what you are looking for. Just say the word and I'll send you a 11/2 lb cannonball. You will have to find your own line and mark it to your taste. As for the thermometer any old indoor/outdoor thermometer will work provided you water proof the splices correctly. Run the wire up to the dash and screw a tupperware container down to the dash silicone the screw heads and the wire pass thru and you can leave a little slack in the wires so that you can pull the display out and mount it with velcro to the top.I"ll send you some tywraps for keeping the wire tight to the cord if you need them.:D:p:D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sinker, can I use it as a downrigger too??.LOL!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sundrop, As long as you are drifting and only need a very light release, Ha Ha
You could save a lot of gas that way...

Fojoloy: Sinkerman's Deluxe Temperature Sensing Sounder is the name I had been marketing it under.... But with Sundrop's idea I might have to add a three way swivel with some # 9 wire for a release and come up with a better name.......I might add some of that line that changes color every five feet and call it Sinkerman's Super Deluxe Temperature Sensing Color Sounder and Driftrigger. By the time they read all that ...the tackle monkey will only have to say 'WOW! That'll impress your buddies!'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.