NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you fight your fish. Assuming it is a fish that is valuable to you in one regard or another. Also assuming is a fish that is fought where a side pull actually has an effect.
A side pull is supposed to make the fight shorter and get the fish to the boat faster with less stress. It makes good logic being you are pulling the fish from a sideways angle as opposed to the rod tip being straight up/down. Conventional retrieve seems to be almost always straight up so how are you all applying force?
Personally I change as the situation dictates but I'm generally looking to make the fight last and be as hard as possible so the old straight up rod is how I fight fish by and large.
Steering the fish is an exception as well as, and more importantly, hiding a hooked fish from some nosey Parker that slows down to see if there is anything going on. I do my best to hide my rare success from prying eyes iykwim

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I like to keep my rod about 10 oclock and pull the fish around to the direction I want him to go, but otherwise keep it against his swim... if he's going someplace benign (ie, not into my motors or cover) I try to keep the line pulled the opposite way he is swimming. For most hooksets, I feel if I have the line laid out in front of the fish it's more likely to be easier to pull hooks or pull free than at an angle. Besides, I want the fish to have work (the whole idea of playing the fish is to make him tired), so pulling back against his direction of travel makes the most sense to me.

Not sure about the question, so not sure if that answers it, but that's my 2 cents.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
To the sides to steer and low, I will stick the rod in the water if I have to, to keep it down so he doesn't throw a hook on top. I keep the rod tip opposite his travel direction when I can to keep the line firm and pressure against him.

Reactions: challenger

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Depends on the bait I am using.

On a jig the rod is usually up high. Not fighting the fish. Set the hook and reel him in as fast as I can.

Spinnerbait and buzzbait is to the side to be ready to pull down to keep it from jumping (these baits are bad to have hook thrown). Still no fighting, reel in as fast as possible.

Crankbaits are low, real low. Sometimes the rod is half way in the water. No jumping allowed!!! No slack in line and no changing direction. Not really fighting, still want total control of where he is going but sometimes a fight breaks out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.