NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at portable fish finders for my creek boat. What do yall use on your kayaks. I want something I can remove so if I fish some cypress knots or small creeks I don't break the transducer. Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
thru hull is great but isn't truly portable. Fine if you plan to only use it on one boat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a flip up transducer arm with an older model fish finder for my kayaks. The arm and the unit are mounted to an old piece of cutting board and can slide on my mounting rails. The unit attaches to a mounting rail on my boat or my wife's boat. The battery and cables are inside an off-brand waterproof box that the whole contraption fits in when I am not using it. Can charge everything right in the box. It would be very easy to clamp the setup to a boat without any of the newfangled rail systems on the market today.
There are several companies that make flip up arms and a whole bunch of DIY projects out there. I spend most of my time in pretty shallow waters so when I bring out the FF being able to flip up the transducer is nice. I use mine mainly in the winter months to get an accurate read on water temps, looking for the areas with a slightly higher reading than the rest. Not sure if a "shoot thru" setup allows for accurate water temp readings. I also like the ability to move the rig to any boat or loan it out without any mods to my kayak.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm looking at portable fish finders for my creek boat. What do yall use on your kayaks. I want something I can remove so if I fish some cypress knots or small creeks I don't break the transducer. Thanks
If it's a plastic boat, you may be able to shoot thru the hull. I have a hummingbird di unit with transducer fastened to inside of my kayak hull with plumber's putty that works just fine (with a cup or two of water to fill any gaps). Temp takes longer to stabilize but imaging is not noticeably different from images I get with same head unit and a trolling motor mounted transducer on my pond boat.. I decided to try thru-hull before trying anything more complicated and have seen no reason to change. I do have to reset transducer every time I transport the kayak but that's just a couple of minutes effort.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
shoot through works fine but the temperature is the issue. Sometimes a degree or 2 makes all the difference and you need quick updates on temp and thru hull is too slow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts