NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I posted my question is while looking for another fish finder (mine took a hit) I noticed some for fresh water and some for salt water. Soooo I called Neuse Sport Shop and was told that the transducer will be damaged by salt water. I asked about rinsing it off with a hose and was told that would prolong its life but it will still be damaged. Was wondering if anyone had experienceD any damage before I replaced mine. Thanks for all the responses..

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I have heard that low priced color models don't monitor as well in salt, but I'm not sure why, I think it has to do with the frequency. But as far as durability of the transducer?? Never heard of that.

Reactions: Calabash513

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I trailer my CC down to Florida about 3x per year and run it in salt water in Pensacola. I hose everything down thoroughly after each outing, flush the engine and set the boat on high tilt to drain. Then I take it out the next day and do the same thing; this goes on for a week at a time. I have used my same Humminbird for the last several years without any problems.

If your transducer is punctured or scratched up by contact with bottom or debris, it could take damage I suppose from rust. Otherwise, I think you are being pitched with an 'upsale.'

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that NSS has resorted to that kind
of selling if so....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
there is no such thing when dealing with fish finders. all are able to work in salt or fresh water. the issue when running in salt water is the fact of the power the fish finder has and what options your looking at. the power a fish finder has makes alot of difference. the more power it has the better bottom resolution it can sustain in deeper waters. if your looking at holding the bottom in deep water then you would need a really powerful transducer. what NSS told you just may be the sales pitch.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The only area that "could" make a difference that I have seen is not in the transducer itself but the quality of the Ni/Ag plating on the connectors that plug in to the back of the unit. Some corrode / oxidize a lot more than others. I've never heard of a "saltwater transducer".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.