NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this bass this summer at Belews. I was thinking it was a spot, but since to my knowledge I've never caught one before, I wasn't sure.

Yay or nay?

Water Sky Cloud Fisherman Fish

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sah yes but the only real way to tell is if there was a tooth patch on the tongue.
I thought I read somewhere that the tooth patch on the tongue was not always 100% reliable in that if it's there, it's a spot, but if it's not there it's not necessarily NOT a spot. I might have read it wrong, or what I read might have been wrong.

Thanks Gene and Jeff. I have 0 experience with spotted bass.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Yes a spot for sure. You can usually tell by the aggressiveness of the bite and first hard run that you have spot on. They don't get as big as LMB but they sure put up a great fight. I have been catching a few out of Hickory the last two years. Mostly on the lower end.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
Jerry I know that they don't grow as big as the LMB but man what fighter, I saw one approaching 5 lbs almost whoop h2ohhh on Kerr Scott a couple of years ago. She pulled Johns AllStar rod into the water to the thrid guide on several different runs.

Darrell
That fish keeps getting smaller instead of bigger. Of course I think it was over 5. But then again it was my fish. Definitely an epic battle that I will never forget. Here she is. I think the state record is just over 6.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
I do understand they're good fighters, but my entire thing is, they don't belong here. They will displace native species.
I agree. The issue is compounded in chain lakes like the Catawba. Fortunately there are a gazillion waters where largemouth thrive in the state and which will never see any introduction of spots, which as a whole mitigates their impact and allows anglers the benefit of experiencing this awesome fish.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Understood Jerry, I hate that the white perch displaced the white bass. But if your stuck with something that is not supposed to be there better Spots than white perch in my opinion. They are pretty good eating too.

John my apologies for underestimating the weight, I have never seen anything in freshwater fight like that fish did. about 5 more months we'll try finding another one.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.