NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope not a lady fish. I know it wasn't a Spanish and almost sure it wasn't a king. It was more round unlike a king or Spanish which are more slender. the markings on it started about 3/4 the way up the sides and on top of the back. the only thing we could come up with was maybe small bonito. looking back at the pic I don't think that's right either.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Some type of mackerel, hard to tell with one pic. For fish ID its best to have several pics from different angles, helps to pinpoint the ID.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I'm just seeing the small diamond shaped plates coming out of the top and bottom half, mackerel type markings.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I asked some guys on the pier who know their stuff. they said "looks like but isn't a boston mackerel. No stripes.". I don't have any clue.

sent it to a charter captain. He says he's 99% sure it's a full grown cigar minnow a.k.a round scad.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Well usually the eating follow the eaten.... So id say the Spanish would be the ones doing the following.
The guy I asked knows his stuff, if he says cigar minnow Id go with that

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can't make out the head, but from what I can make out, it does appear to be a cigar minnow.....cigar fish!!

But I swear the mouth does not look like one. But again the, what I call tuna fins, are very visible on the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a boston mackerel... note the multiple finlets going to the caudal peduncle
Fin Fish Ray-finned fish Tail Marine biology
This is a round scad... note just the one finlet on the caudal peduncle
Vertebrate Fish Fin Ray-finned fish Tail
OP's fish is almost definitely a mackerel of some sort because of the several finlets
Fin Fish Salmon-like fish Gesture Seafood

1 - 20 of 30 Posts