NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished out of Ft. Fisher again today. Pretty quickly I hooked into a good trout out of a deep hole which I lost at the boat:mad: As Im sitting shaking my head I hear splashing. I look into a cove on the left of me and there are fish jumping everywhere. I paddled in and they were reds. One almost jumped in my yak. Anyway I spent an hour and a half with fish jumping all around me and I could not hook up. I used topwater plugs, yozuri jumping minnow and a zarra spook, Gulp shrimp, a small crankbait, and a spinner all to no avail. I was wondering if anybody fly fishes for reds and if so what flies do you use?

I was pretty discouraged but fished for a couple more hours and finally caught 5 reds with 3 of them around 17 inches. On my paddle back I stopped for revenge on the trout that spit the hook earlier and got him.
18 inches 2lbs even:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Way to keep the pressure on them, Straps!

I don't know the reds well enough to know anything about jumping behavior and if they might have been chasing something particular that you couldn't mimic with traditional tackle. Hopefully somebody else can chime in.

We came across one hole up in Beaufort on Saturday where something smallish (6") was jumping all over the place. Guys fishing in that hole said it was "sea mullet", and they were catching small trout in the midst of it. Didn't come across any other place with jumping fish all day. Seems pretty rare for December, but maybe the fish are as confused about the temps as we are...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
And I see you got your Wilderness/La Jolla logos into the shot! I checked to see if I had a LL logo in the same frame as the trout I got last week, but no luck. Good luck there!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
LOGOS??!! what ! dont tell me kayak fishing is turning into Nascar!!..LOL!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I see you got your Wilderness/La Jolla logos into the shot! I checked to see if I had a LL logo in the same frame as the trout I got last week, but no luck. Good luck there!

I made it a point to bring the logo with me this time. These are the first submissions for me and Ive know about it for the past 8 months.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
LOGOS??!! what ! dont tell me kayak fishing is turning into Nascar!!..LOL!!
I'm still looking for a sponsor that'll wrap my yak... Too bad you don't have your body shop any more... :D

La Jolla Kayak Fishing (as in, California) is hosting a yak-fishing contest. Instead of paddling your livewell all the way from NC to CA, you email in a photo. In order to ensure that the catch took place during the designated month, each submitted photo must contain the object announced at the beginning of that month. December's validation object is your own yak's logo - hence the paper sporting the LJKF and Wilderness logo's in that shot with the drum on the floor of Straps' yak.

I wish I'd been paying better attention... of course, I also wish I'd have caught more fish...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.