NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you all think majority of the fish are right now? Pre spawn, spawn, or post spawn? I am hearing multiple reports about them already spawning out and moving back to points

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
In differant areas of the state they will be in various stages of all three.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Went to Badin this past Sunday...saw bass on the beds...caught them under the docks and schooling out on the windy points in a post spawn pattern...could be in anything right now.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Spawning fish come up in waves. We already have post spawn fish in areas on NC. There is usually about 2 or 3 waves of spawning. Pay attention to moon phases.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have been catching bed fish at Jordan. No signs of fry yet though in the areas I have fished.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I hate this time of year. Fish won't be on a strong summer pattern on the rivers till 4th of July. Local lakes are good in the early morning on points topwater and and maybe till late morning on a C-Rig then they shut off. The rivers will be steady fish on till Thanksgiving. I do really well on local lakes from 930 pm to 130 am also. There is also a super bite from 430 to 530 am mid summer but I can't hang with that one. I do remember one "morning" on Harris about 430 and we could hear what sounded like hard rain coming across the lake for 20 minutes.................it was actually 4-10 pound bass on top killing shad. They vanished before dawn The school was the size of a football field. We caught a few that "day", :D

If you really want to catch big bass in May fish shoreline trash in 1-5 feet of water. Flipping is all that will get them. Look for cuts or finger points with wind blown wood trash and such. They are there but hard to get a lure to. I'd try 9" plastic worms or big live bait. They are way up under the impossible to cast to stuff and they are stacked in there like cord wood.

Local lakes mid summer the bass are holding at 12-13 feet. Trolling long way out,,,,,,,,,,,,the right lure real fast or worming the break sideways will work if they are in a positive mood.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My feeling is in the Piedmont area that we still have all three phases going right now. I think it is leaning heavily toward spawn/post spawn but there are some fish that won't finish till then end of the month. This hot weather will push any holdouts to the bed pretty quick.

I've had some discussions about this subject and I also believe that quite a few fish spawned before the water was at normal temps and probably deeper than normal because of the highly variable weather this spring. Water temp is only one factor in the spawn and I think photo-period has a large impact also.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LMB are still spawning here on the coast... big bream are moving up and bedding thick. Crappie are almost totally post-spawn in my area. Like previously said, they may spawn multiple times all the way through early summer.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
May 13-15th looks good with the may full moon aka "flower moon."

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found fish off the bed with fry three weeks ago. Fished a pond one week ago and three big fish had just moved up to start spawning. It should be all post-spawn by the end of this month - SHOULD be. No hard/fast rule.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Fished today and only one fish out of 24 had roe in them. The rest were bucks or spawned out. They will spawn on a full moon and also on a new moon phase.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Central Piedmont we are probably done. Im seeing bass minners everywhere!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Lots of bass minnows in Falls lake last week, bream are bedding crappie are post spawn for the most part but did have 1 of 5 with eggs just developing good others had spawned out. 2 channels cats with eggs starting to form.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts