NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thoght there would be more conversation about this idea.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
The 3 species they mentioned were shad, stripers and sturgeon. I'd welcome the shad and stripers with open arms. Nothing against sturgeon except that they're ugly. And not much for eating as far as I know (other than their roe). Are the Atlantic/Cape Fear sturgeon the same size as the ones out west? Would be odd to see one of those working its way up a fish ladder.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the profiles here on ncangler. Sounds like a bigun.

Size: 170 inches - 1,100 pounds

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I think any plan that ads spawning area and water to fish is a go in my book!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a great plan, it really doesn't make any sense to keep the locks in the river. This will allow fishermen and boaters in general to travel down the river with ease (apparently now you can call ahead and get the locks opened). The ability for the fish to spawn is crucial to the population of dwindling fish like the Sturgeon. I don't recomend eating them because there is a federal watch upon them due to their endangered status. I have not eaten sturgeon but I have heard it is amazing, the meat of the sturgeon is MARBLED and oozes with flavor.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I think getting lock #1 removed is unlikely to happen as above that dam is where Wilmington's water comes from. I sure hope they build the ladders although some of the studies I have seen suggest fish ladders are not as effective for sturgeon and stripers as they are for salmon and some other species.

The stripers in the Cape Fear are hatchery supported, they say that if the fish could travel all the way up the river they could sustain themselves naturally as they once did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.