NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spent the week down in the keys getting a few fish off my "Bucket List". Tarpon, Black Drum, Cuda, Mangrove Snapper. Even waited for hours(ok 5 minutes) and had a nice buck Key Deer come by me.
So Saturday I was taking a nap recuperating and my wife comes in the bedroom and says "Jeff is here". There went my nap.
Jeff talks me into going to a local flow for a short float for bass. We arrive at our destination and the water looks like crap. Too bad usgs doesn't show clarity. Now I like stained to slightly muddy water but I think I actually saw a raccoon track float by it was so muddy. We stood there deciding on our options. After a little arm twisting I told him I knew a nearby spot we could catch some flatheads and then he could mark that off his list.
First we would have to go buy Goldfish. Oh no! He said Goldfish:eek:. After a short trip to the Goldfish store we arrived at out destination. I brought 1 cat rod so we had to take turns . I went first and and caught one maybe 20 lbs or so. Jeff's turn now. He put the Goldfish is one spot and after 15 mins he casted back out to another spot. Immediately the line started moving. He set the hook and after a short battle he had is first Flattie. :cool:

note- No Flatheads were harmed today but 7 goldfish were......7 x 2.75 apiece.$21.25 plus tax.....catching flatheads- Priceless

A good day of the water.

Fish Wood Saw Tool Recreation
Shorts Hunting Water Crocodile Sunglasses
Water Hunting Bird Smile Fisherman

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do like bluegill better or white perch but this river it is next to impossible to catch enough bait.....The Neuse where I fish I can catch all the bait i want too...not here, fished it since 79 and the bream fishing here is terrible.......and not legal to catch somehwere else and transport. so we buy goldfish.....They tear those goldfish up....I like bluegill better but in reality goldfish are just as good and maybe better as they live longer on a hook than bream.....these are not actually goldfish but a cross between goldfish and some type of carp.....they will live for days in a small bucket....i know one bait store that shut down the goldfish tank(change of owners) and 2 months later when they opened the cover to the tank these goldfish were still alive with no aeration or food....

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Give him time..........He's trying to photoshop in that big American shad he caught with palm trees in the background to look like a tarpon.
Yeah I think I saw one of the preliminary attempts on his Facebook. It fooled all the facebookers but he knows NCAnglers are smarter then that so he's probably trying to make it more realistic.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Originally Posted by Nat's Dad

Give him time..........He's trying to photoshop in that big American shad he caught with palm trees in the background to look like a tarpon.

Yeah I think I saw one of the preliminary attempts on his Facebook. It fooled all the facebookers but he knows NCAnglers are smarter then that so he's probably trying to make it more realistic.
Impressive trash talk, 'gennelmen'. Mack couldn't do it better himself.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
newbie question for you.....how are you rigging for those catfish? Carolina rig and just cast it out and leave it or do you just free line?
Similar to a C rig but with 1 ft or less leader(less likely for bait to wrap around something) and I use a Bank sinker. Egg sinkers roll too much and No-roll(flat ) sinkers cost way too much so the bank sinker is a good compromise between the two. Think i got this rig from In-Fisherman years ago

Automotive lighting Gas Bicycle part Auto part Valve

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting there isn't many bream there. Wonder what those flats are eating?
Bream are there but hard to catch.....the cats are eating, bream shad, suckers, horney heads, all the abouve but no easy to catch them....one day they are here then gone....

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice guys, glad fishwhisperer got to scratch one off of the list. I vote for a full Key West report as well.

Darrell
Full key west report will probably just be on my blog....it was an awesome trip but I didnt catch anything over 15 lbs...

but, I told the guide I wanted smaller tarpon on light tackle(i knew my odds would be better) and I landed 2 out of 3 hooked. one 8-10 lbs and 1 15 lbs but the guide didnt want to take the 15 lber out of the water.
I lost a 12-15 lb snook out on my own one evening. you could of probably heard me yell from the keys if you were outside last thursday evening aprox 830pm.

Here are a few pictures,
the elusive Key Deer Buck-
Plant Plant community Deer Tree Fawn

My son with a red and a black Drum
Sky Water Cloud Vertebrate Fisherman
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Boat

My first Tarpon coming into the Net
Mesh Reptile Scaled reptile Grille Wire fencing

And the Lodge- If you ever go to the keys you need to stay here
Sky Building White Arecales Tree
Water Cloud Sky Watercraft Boat
Water Property Tree Plant Botany

Water Sky Plant Swimming pool Azure

some reptiles who greeted us every morning
Iguania Reptile Lizard Iguana Green iguana
Plant Reptile Scaled reptile Tree Iguania

almost all fish caught on white Jigheads with shrimp on them...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.