NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished today at Lake Sutton. Only caught two small bass under 1 pound each. I saw lots of fish from 2-5lbs but could not get them to bite. I was using a Carolina rigged super brush hog. Nothing on the jig'n'pig. Had an interesting fishing partner today as well. This was first for me and kind of cool as he hung around for 10 mins or so.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you happen to get a water temp reading there in the ditch?
My FF is not working right now so no. The water was extremely warm compared to the air. When I first showed up the whole lake had steam rising off the water. Wish I had taken a picture as this was happening at 1:00 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The water was extremely warm compared to the air. When I first showed up the whole lake had steam rising off the water.
I'm pretty sure Sutton has a power plant....

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
thats why that gator looks so "content"..LOL! Spa!

·
Registered
262 Posts
yea nice alligator picture i didnt kno that alligators were in sutton lake. im new to the area im from cincinnati,ohio. whe nt he best time to fish at sutton lake. i tried the piers 2 times, but i didnt catch anything.i use minnows and jiggs. iwonder if boats are best to use for that lake.i have a boat up in ohio its a dv starcraft 85hp. im going to bring it down in march.I usally fish at lake erie for waylle in the winter and white bass, and in the spring and large and small mouth bass and perch in the fall.and if u have any info about snowcut it would be great knloage to have . Have a great day

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party Jigghead1. That Starcraft will do the trick around here for sure!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks to all who emailed me with info about alligators and Sutton Lake. To Straps57 I never used a kayak before, but thanks for your offer, if you ever want to meet to fish off pier down there or anywhere else in wilmington or carolina beach area, that would be great, When i bring my boat down in March, you are welcome to come aboard, and anyone else that loves to fish, because i surely need the help in this area.:D Oh yeah, is it true that Lake Sutton is heated by the power plant there to keep water warm. If you get a boat or kayak next to that power plant that is where the fish should be at?? That is how it is in the Ohio River.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes Sutton is a power plant lake it is a 4 lake system used to cool the water for the power plant. The pictures Straps57 took are from the hot ditch on lake one that leads back to the plant it is pretty narrow and when the water is pumping out a good current. If you go to Yahoo Maps you can get a good idea of what the system looks like there is a better map in one the old North Carolina Sportsman magazines with an article about catfishing in Sutton.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks alot for the info Mulletman that is some good vital info about the lake. I will look at Yahoo Maps later on today. It seems like you are a real fisherman and know the area pretty good. Any other good fishing spots in the area? What kind of lake is Lake Sutton really a morning or evening lake to catch fish.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is kind of off the subject, but I am also a hunter, I am mainly a bow hunter and use a Mathew's Bow and want to know if there are any good area's to hunt or if there is a hunter's chat line for the area, and what is a good sportsman club. I heard Kelly's closed down for now due to it being sold to a new owner, but i am thinking about going to south port one to join, Any advise would be helpful.:eek:

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you look at the southeastern part of the largest lake (lake 1 where the ramp is)this is the enterance to the hot ditch. If you look at the satellite version of google maps you can see the large pipe crossing the ditch it has a section in the middle to allow boats through. Further down there is two pipes crossing if the water is up only small boats can get under I have to duck down in my canoe to get under, then you can go all the way to the railroad tracks where a fence crosses in the water. I like to fish back there because everybody can't get back there:cool:.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't know if Sutton is a morning or evening lake but I have been told the average depth is 4' for the lake. I have caught more fish on cloudly days,early, and late in the day near the weeds. I don't have a depth sounder but on maps there is an old creek bed that runs along the shore and that is where the catfish are. I have not fished there that long in fact this spring was the first but the bass schools seem to move along the creek beds. There is alot of structure in the middle of the lake trees and bolders there are always boats around these areas. I personally have caught some good bass in this area in spring and fall on topwater drifting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.