NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went wading in the fisher river sunday sept 11 and we caught 8 sunfish and a "horny head". Surprisingly we caught no smallmouths. We did encounter a copperhead with a 5 inch catfish in his mouth though. Tuesday the 13th i waded the Yadkin with no luck whatsoever. Then went back to a different part of the fisher and we caught several sunfish and a few smallmouths. All fish from both days were caught on rooster tails and nightcrawlers. Just wanted to post this report. Thanks for having a great site for those who truly enjoy fishing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome wademaster!

I only fly fish but many of my spin/bait casting pals have good results with Watermelon (with red flakes?) or White soft plastics like Flukes and Speed Craws. Also small white spinner baits are a go to bait. There are some way more knowledgable smallie guys on this forum than me and I'm sure they will tune in. Smallies can be very selective at times not only with the color but speed of retrieve. Ofcourse we all prefer those days when they just don't care and will hit anything that hits the water!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, finstalker id be glad to get together for some fishing, just let me know, i love all types, night, day, river, pond, lake, anything outdoors and im there!! and bwguffey the yadkin was pretty warm and little muddy but not terrible

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like that's about normal for thr Yadkin. Been fishing the river my whole life in different sections.There are fish there.And yes they have taken a beating the last few years but with the water clarity being what it is it does give them some relief.Hot dry summers are the worst, when the water clears up seems like everybody and their brother shows up. lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
Derek has articulated my strategy. I fish every chance I get so as to luck on to those good days when the fish are aggresive. I'm always impressed by those who manage to catch fish even when they are not really cooperating.

Welcome wademaster!
... Smallies can be very selective at times not only with the color but speed of retrieve. Ofcourse we all prefer those days when they just don't care and will hit anything that hits the water!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i have fished all the rivers closeby basically since i was a little boy , i have always caught some red eyes, small cats, trout, sunfish basically the usual, i have always known for smallies and little bit of other species maybe a trout occasionally, i think has everything in it, some good size cats, smallies, largemouths, sunfish, carp, big suckers, sometimes in the i cant even fish the bottom because of the turtles biting it so much, haha, i have also caught a few 18 inch trout in the , great river in my opinion for bank fishing and kayaking but i like the smaller rivers for wading

1 - 9 of 9 Posts