NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI with the down scan imaging. I have never owned a fishfinder before and never really felt the need for one. I have a 1548 G3 Jon Boat. I have mainly fished local bodies of water that I am confident fishing without one. However, I am starting to do more inshore fishing in the creeks of the Pamlico, Pungo, and Bay River. In the warmer months I am mainly fishing the shorelines and not go out in the deeper water. Somebody convince me why I need a fishfinder. Is it like air conditioning, DVR, and high speed internet? One of those thing you don't appreciate until you have had it? Does it really help locate fish in these areas?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Absolutely...unless u like fishing blind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just orderd me the elite 5 HDI cant wait till i get it so i can try it out this weekend i will post back and let you know how i like it.My brother has the elite 5 and he said he like it. He is also looking at getting the elite 5 HDI.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Even if its a basic model, once you have it, and get used to it, you will love it. I look for drops, holes and structure with mine if nothing else. Water temp is good to know also.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I use the simplest model (lowrance x-4) on my yak just to see drop offs and mark fish so I am not blind. The gps, down imaging, and way point functions would be nice IF i fished a particular area more often. Any FF is better than none IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I prefer Side Imaging to Down Imaging. I use regular sonar when looking down. One good piece of advice I heard somebody say is that a good sonar will not necessarily help you catch more fish, but it will definitely help you know where they are not. There is a lot of dead water out there that you can avoid by using the right electronics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the all the replies. The answer appears obvious. I guess now I have to figure out to work a fishfinder and get over the fear of drilling holes into my boat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got any recommendations for a decent one that isn't too expensive for mounting in a kayak? I've never used one and don't know how to read them, so I always just fish the bank but I figure I could probably be more productive if I knew what was down there...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the all the replies. The answer appears obvious. I guess now I have to figure out to work a fishfinder and get over the fear of drilling holes into my boat.
It will come most likely with a transom mounting bracket which is really no big deal to do. And as far as how to work it, telling how deep a spot is and what the water temp is is really easy. What lines are a fish and what are a stick or bubbles from the motor I am not great with.

If you have a bow mount trolling motor you could get a transducer that attaches to the trolling motor and then no drilling necessary.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You can also glue the transducer in your hull on a fiberglass boat ( like I did - pictured )
My buddy has problems with his transducer reading on his jon boat. Just something to consider. ........ ICM

CIMG2924.jpg CIMG2925.jpg

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I just bought a Lowrance Elite 4x DSI... It's $200, combines sonar and down scan imaging. A battery is another $20 (12v, 7AH, sealed lead acit) and will power it for days.

IMO, if you're buying a FF today, you probably want either down scan or side scan imaging with your sonar. They really give you a lot of detail on the bottom.

I'm not the expert, though.... I did TALK to a dozen different experts while I over-researched this before I bought it. My ex-wife said that my researching for the best buys (price/value point) sucked the fun out of every purchase.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Search the forums for kayak and fish finder, there have been a lot of threads on this over the last few years and lots of installs shown with extensive pictures. I have Humminbird 386 DI installed on my Pescador Sport 12 kayak with the transducer inside the hull secured with plumber's putty and a cup or so of water to fill any gaps that may exist. Temperature gets within a degree or so in twenty minutes or less and the hull does not appear to affect the down imaging. Get what appears to be the same picture of the same structure with a transom mount on my Pelican 10E. 7AH gell cell will power it for several days of fishing.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I have the Elite 7 HDI and love it. I use all the elements of the unit and it helps to narrow down areas to fish or not to fish. At times I fish big water and want to return back to the same location..GPS.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I couldnt fish without a graph. Knowledge of water depth, structure, water temps and knowing if there are any signs of life in an area are all assets to eliminating water and finding fish. As far as settings go, the default settings and everything set to auto will do very well most of the time.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The set up ...for my Jackson big Rig and Dragon Fly went on in 5 minutes out of the box...transducer hangs over the side on a sliding track system...so sick.
And of course Gps.

Reactions: Twystedweb
1 - 20 of 26 Posts