NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello NC, I'm a new part time resident on Lake Apalachia. I do not not see any posts since April of 2012 about fishing on this lake. I would like to learn the best helpful hints or methods to catch any species of fish. Would love to catch large or small mouth bass but I'm happy to catch anything. I'll be there for two weeks later this month so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome aboard. Glad you've joined us! :cool: I'm not familiar with Lake Apalachia but I've added it to the title of your thread so hopefully someone who is can respond.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom and thanks for joining us. I feel certain that someone will respond to your info request.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Lake Apalachia Fishing

Cherokee County NC is home to several trout waters. It appears that Lake Apalachia will likely join the list of trout fisheries in 2015. Lake Apalachia is more than 1,000 acres of water and 31 miles of waterfront. The lake is in a 3 year test trial to see if the lake can be considered designated trout waters. The lake already is home to a variety of fish including smallmouth bass, redbreast sunfish and white bass. Trout can soon be added to the list.NC first stocked the lake with trout in December 2012 and again in December 2013. So far the data gathered has been impressive in the numbers and growth. Wildlife Resources claim that withing 6 months fish that were 10-12 inches grew to 18 inches. There have been trout that are 21 inches and weigh 4 pounds. The reason for the rapid growth is that there is a large number of blueback herring in the lake and they provide the trout with a steady diet.
The biggest downfall to the lake is lack of access to fish the shorelines and boat ramps. The majority of the lake can only be accessed by boat and right now there is only one boat ramp in the entire county. The boat ramp is located below the Hiwassee Lake Dam at the TVA Powerhouse. Try to launch and recover when they are not generating and be aware that there is no dock, only a boulder breakwater at the ramp. Fishing the shoreline is also accessed at this same location. Trout, bass and perch can be caught in this area.
Wildlife Resources believes that limited access can be a good thing because it will help keep a steady and healthy quality and quantity of fish in the lake. They feel that Lake Apalachia will become a trout fishery in 2015 and shows signs of becoming the best big-trout waters in the county, and maybe even the region.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's been a while since I have fished it, but much of Appalachia is steep and deep.
It is cool water, and generally clear. Drop shotting works well there, if I recall mostly Largemouth Bass with Spotted bass thrown in for good measure.
Topwater can be good early and late.
It can get windy up there very quickly, be aware of that.
I've heard mention some Rainbow Trout have been there stocked there in the past few years, but I have not had a chance to try fishing up there the past 4 years or so.

Good luck....

Fishscalz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom - Murphy here; I unfortunately did not receive any advice from anyone on secrets to fishing on Lake Apalachia so I just had to go with what I know. The Sunfish were plentiful if you had crickets for bait. The bass were there as the water was so clear you could see them but I just couldn't get them to hit on anything I had in my tackle box. So on my last day there I went out after some trout and caught 2 nice ones. If anyone can tell me exactly what kind of trout these are I would appreciate it. All in all I had a great time away from work for a week and I think now I have a better idea on how to fish the lake a little better. If only I could figure out what would trigger the bass to bite....

I am trying to post a picture here bug so far I am not successful.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Nice job finding some fish.

In the future, you may find it helpful to consider posting your question in a more conspicuous place such as in the "Freshwater Fishing" section. You would more likely get more traffic. :D

Welcome to NCAngler!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts