NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I am new to this site and recently moved to NC (Charlotte). I have been a member of this site for a couple of weeks and have already enjoyed learning about NC opportunities from y'all. I have a few days off between now and the new year and would like to make a day trip to do some fly fishing. I am willing to drive 2-2:30 hours one way in order to fish. I have been "piddling" with fly fishing for a couple of years now but still consider myself somewhat of a novice. I was hoping to get some advice on a place or places to try that are within driving distance and would be worth while for a novice fly fisherman like myself. I am up for rivers or larger streams/creeks and I am not asking for your "honey hole". If anyone has the time to give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Here is a link to the trout stocking map with creeks and stocking schedules. http://www.flyfishingnc.com/trout-streams-maps Number 10 is Caldwell County.

From Charlotte that's not a bad drive. And Wilson Creek has plenty of water to explore.

I suggest looking for a NC Trout stream map book. I found that to be very helpful when exploring new streams. You can keep notes about the creek on the maps too.

mike...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Good advice. Copies of the Trout Maps may still be available but probably are not up to date. Better is the interactive map on the state website at ncwildlife.org. It will ID streams and give you driving directions. From the Statesville area, popular Delayed Harvest streams are Ararat in Mt. Airy; Little River in Allegheny County, Mitchell River in Surry; Stone Mt. State Park in Wilkes; Big Horse and Helton Creeks in Ashe County; and Watauga River in Watauga County. Wilson Creek as mentioned, north of Morganton is particular scenic and has lots of options if you want to hike into more remote streams. Most of the DH streams are good size and easily accessible. Some of the waters designated at Hatchery Supported may also be good options...even though not stocked for a while...but some may be much smaller than you are interested in.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you get a chance, swing by the store and say hello. I have a handout on popular streams near Statesville and can help you narrow down your choices to save driving time etc.

You may also be interested in the Carolina Fly Fishing Club. They meet in Huntersville at exit 18 on 77, on the second Wednesday of the month. Check out their website and their facebook page. The club has been having some excellent programs and also offers a variety of instruction on fly tying, fishing and casting. The store website and facebook page may also be of interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.