NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have just decided that it really isn't worth my time to go fishing right after it rains. I rarely catch more than 1-2 keepers. If I have any luck it would be in a lake or pond, never in a river. I just normally wait a day or so to go.

A few days ago I was talking to a co-worker (and long time fisherman) who says that's his fav time to go.

Got me to wondering what the rest of you guys do right after rain?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Over the years I have just decided that it really isn't worth my time to go fishing right after it rains. I rarely catch more than 1-2 keepers. If I have any luck it would be in a lake or pond, never in a river. I just normally wait a day or so to go.

A few days ago I was talking to a co-worker (and long time fisherman) who says that's his fav time to go.

Got me to wondering what the rest of you guys do right after rain?
Look at the barometric pressure. When the levels are rising or falling, that is the trigger time for the fish.(usually as these fronts move in or out) When the barometric pressure levels out, that's when the fish tend to get closed mouthed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think rain is worse for the fisherman than the fish. Hitting the river right after a hard rain when it just starts coming up can be awesome for cats.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I fish whenever I can **** the barometer and all those other wives tails.

Reactions: Neilslure

·
Registered
696 Posts
That is a good question.

Hottest action I ever had was fishing a smallmouth river and a thunder/lightening storm came on and the fish went ballistic. After the storm left, it got much harder to get a bite even tho the water level never really rose or turned muddy.

I used to trout fish almost exclusively and one hot summer day I was driving around in Brevard and it started raining. I went up to the fish hatchery area on the Davidson and watched a dozen fishermen get out of the river, quickly get out of waders, and drive off. I got in the water and had the best day ever on that stretch. I was catching so many fish I changed flies to find something I couldn't catch them on. It was unbelievable.

All that being said, I've seen times when it rained and I couldn't catch a cold.

Like Spidey said "I usually fish when I can" and I don't worry about it much.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Obviously the best time to fish is when you can...GO! No matter what the books say, there are always fish out there to be caught, you just have to find them, you can go on the best day ever created by moon phase, barometric pressure, solunar tables and all that, but if you dont find the fish you wont catch them.

One thing I do know- rising water scatters the bass, making them harder to locate.
Rising water changes the lake conditions and your fish change when the lake conditions change.

To me, I see rising water creating opportunities. In the summer when the water is hot, it cools the surface temperatures and that can turn them on. You also have water inflow from creeks and such that can wash in a buffet for the fish and raise the water level some creating some new cover the fish may use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I read in a North American fisherman magazine once where they say it is good to go before the storm hits because the fish are up and moving (I guess like deer?) but I go whenever, I went yesterday after it rained to a private pond of some folks I know and only caught one large mouth that just had grew into his fins. Today was a little better but not too much.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I lost the biggest bass of my life....Fishing top water in a down pour...I estimate 13-15 ponds...as it jumped and threw my dare devil back at me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was always of the midset that rain will wash all sorts of bugs etc into the water creating feeding opportunities for the fish. But like most...I get out and fish regardless of moon phase, barometric pressure, etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im gonna tell you man some of the best fishing I've had was in the rain/thunderstorm no lightning tho. But during a good rain or just before the storms stops the fish go ballistic I'm telling you i usually fish for cats and crappie and other decent eating fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts