NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2 weeks me and a buddy are planning on making a trip out to Shackleford and drop the wives off while we do some fishing. Ive been up there before but never boated the area, only took the water taxis and such. I have a 18ft jon with a 75hp motor. I would think this would be fine for that area so long as the winds arent crazy. Definately would play it safe with the weather though, as its been a bit rough in there when Ive crossed before.

What's productive in that area this time of year? Im not species particular, I just like to catch fish. Any tips, suggestions or warnings for the area? Thanks
Adam

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Might consider using the channel that runs between Beaufort and carrot island and come around the back side to go towards Shack. Skinny water but calmer. Go easy and during the top half of incoming or outgoing. Be a lot safer than the main channel with a Jon. Flounder, Spanish, Blues and Cobia right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
Around Shack

Probably the easiest and most productive fishery at that time of year is drifting for flounder in the sound behind Shack. Rigging is simple; a Carolina rig with a barrel sinker heavy enough to hold bottom (1-2 ozs. is all you'll need), about 24-30" of 30# leader and either a long shank or circle hook about 1/0 or 2/0. Bait? Any strip of fish belly about 4-5" long, cut pennant shaped about 1-2" at the end. If you use a belly strip from a gamefish, it'll need to legal-sized plus you'll need to have the carcass with you to prove legality. Squid strips work almost as well and if you can net any mud minnows, finger mullet, or small menhaden, you're really in business. As a bonus, you'll catch bluefish and small sharks. A moving tide is what you want - in or out (I prefer in) doesn't matter. Keep a spinning rod ready with a small metal jig like a Stingsilver, Sea Striker Jigfish or diamond jig (no bigger than 1/2 oz., silver or gold) and throw to the blues and Spanish you'll see chasing bait.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Probably the easiest and most productive fishery at that time of year is drifting for flounder in the sound behind Shack. Rigging is simple; a Carolina rig with a barrel sinker heavy enough to hold bottom (1-2 ozs. is all you'll need), about 24-30" of 30# leader and either a long shank or circle hook about 1/0 or 2/0. Bait? Any strip of fish belly about 4-5" long, cut pennant shaped about 1-2" at the end. If you use a belly strip from a gamefish, it'll need to legal-sized plus you'll need to have the carcass with you to prove legality. Squid strips work almost as well and if you can net any mud minnows, finger mullet, or small menhaden, you're really in business. As a bonus, you'll catch bluefish and small sharks. A moving tide is what you want - in or out (I prefer in) doesn't matter. Keep a spinning rod ready with a small metal jig like a Stingsilver, Sea Striker Jigfish or diamond jig (no bigger than 1/2 oz., silver or gold) and throw to the blues and Spanish you'll see chasing bait.
What he said ∆∆∆∆

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts