NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be fishing jolly roger pier and the south end of topsail island in the surf in the next few months and I have few questions about it. When is the best time to go? I will be going for four days...maybe in early September or early October. Maybe in early august not sure. Ive heard that it gets crowded in the fall is that true? What is the hotel like at jolly roger pier? I've heard that in the fall the fish really run good and school up around the pier.....is this true as well? What is the surf fishing like at the south end of the island? Thanks guys for your input :D

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
There's a rock wall on the ICW side of the south end of topsail island. There's parking right next to it and it's a good spot to fish. South of the rocks is the coast guard dock. That dock has deep water around it from where they dredge and that entire area around the rock wall and the dock is a good spot to fish. Don't go on the dock though.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Plan your trip last two weeks of September....First two weeks into October....best fishing on T.I. of the year...Guaranteed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks catmaster, ive read the same thing. How are the crowds that time of year? I also read that the pier is packed elbow to elbow in the fall is that true?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yup...surf fish some...they J.R. is super cool...that time of year everybody is happy....cuz everybody catchin a LOAD OF FISH...hope it helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I normally go the 2nd or 3rd weekend in Oct. Usually the fish is good. Sat afternoons do tend to get crowded, but it's not too bad.

I normally go with 15-20 guys.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
There is no doubt that the fishing anywhere along the coast of North Carolina is at its peak in the second half of September through October. I'm not one for Fall shoulder to shoulder yellow belly spot fishing on the piers...that's a zoo (great eating fish though) with tangled lines and novice fishermen. I normally hit piers at first light to beat the crowds and maybe catch some Spanish off the end (if the water's still above 70). If the pier is packed I'm going surf fishing.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
All the piers are stacked elbow to elbow in the fall, not just Jolly Roger, for the fall spot run. Usually this is the time of year fish are coming from northern climates headed south to warmer waters. They travel in large schools and people can catch them 2 at a time all over the pier.

Pier or surf, fishing is great in the fall. Rooms at the pier are not bad for a beach rental.

http://www.thejollyroger.com/

also check them out on Facebook

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not to be Bobby Buzz Kill...but I honestly haven't seen a Spot Run on T.I. In 4 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts