NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
fishing Slocum is a challenge to say teh least. It gets a lot of pressure from teh locals on th base and in town. You can pull bass off the top right before dark, but you have to get back past the foot bridge near the back of the creek.
Slocum is an interesting fishing ground. You have brackish water up near the river where you can pull puppy drum and trout, and net mullet. In the very back of Slocum it's almost pure fresh water, minus the waste water dumping in, and contains catfish, bass, and the regular gambit of southern fresh water fish.
If you can be more specific of where you are fishing in Slocum and what you are after I can help you out more.
As a note, the Staff Kay Bridge is considered the dividing line of brackish and fresh water. You can find a mix of both kind of fish on either side of that mark, but it's a general guide. The Staff Kay bridge is a two lane bridge verse the walk bridge in the very back of Slocum.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS RYE, I WANT TO FISH FOR REDS AN SPECKS. IVE CAUGHT BOTH AT THE MOUTH OF THE CREEK, AND YES IVE CAUGHT BASS PASS THE FOOT BRIDGE, BUT WHATS THE BESS TIME OF THE YEAR FOR THE REDS AND SPECKS?? CHRIS.......

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've done well on them in October and November on Gulps and Mirror lures after the water temp drops a bit. It's plenty warm in the Neuse right now.. you need to let the water temp fall a bit, then hit them.. give it a month and it should turn around for you. You can get them now, but it'll be first adn last light. Try using shrimp on a poppin cork set up adn work from teh mouth of slocum out into the river along the shore line.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I prefer live whenever I can find it, though you'll have to bring it with you. I use gulp in there on jig heads successfully but have never put them behind a poppin cork before.

Typically I will freeze a pound of large shrimp that I caught before and use that if I can't bring in live with me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.