NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am spending a week at St Simons Island, Georgia, next week. Have fished there before, and plan to launch at Village Creek and hunt reds in the area approx behind Sea Island and Little St. Simons Island (it's just north of SSI).

Just posting in case anyone has fished the area before and have any suggestions.

I'll also be fishing some from the surf and pier at SSI. I know I can catch small sharks pretty easily, but didn't a lot of success last trip (2009) finding reds or trout. I'll be kayak fishing with my Tarpon 120. Taking it instead of my Mariner Propel 12.5 'cause the tidal shift is so extreme -- often 8ft shifts! and I'll arrive during a full moon -- I recall the creeks turn to mud at low tide, so don't wanna be dragging that Mariner around in the mud.

Thanks for sharing any suggestions, contacts, tackle shops, etc., for the area. I'll post a report back on my experiences.

Thanks -- Joel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I managed to find enough speckled trout in the Village Creek area to cook a mess for my parents. Tidal shifts were overwhelming -- one was a 9 foot change from high to low tide. So picked up several trout on top water, a 4 ft bonnethead on cut mullet and a flounder. Never found any reds. Locals fish mainly for specks and flounder in that area this time of year. Did find some cool photo opportunities. Here are a few (below).

IMG_20140713_200628393_HDR.jpg IMG_20140717_092820892.jpg IMG_20140718_181035527_HDR.jpg DSC_9270.jpg IMG_20140712_213338993%u0025257E2.jpg

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Get some of those prints framed!! Some good tackle money to be made right there!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shark fishing technique off the St Simons pier is pretty interesting. The pier juts out into the mouth the Brunswick river, and the tides are so swift that they will drag just about any amount of weight up or down current. The shark fishermen using pretty heavy gear, e.g., one had a Shimano 50W, and rig them with steel cable leaders, heavy weight and balloons, and typically baited with whole bonita ( little tunny = Euthynnus alletteratus) or rays with wings trimmed off. they use a pendulum technique to "cast" the heavy rigs in front of the pier, then let the balloon rig float down current to the desired location -- often 200-300 yard away. Then they snatch the rig, break off the balloon and let the weight drop at the desired spot. They often have 4-6 rigs out on each side of the pier, and it's hard to figure out how they keep the lines from tangling (a local confirm they don't always!). I only saw them catch relatively small sharks, but they're hoping for big sharks, and there are lots of them in the area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts