NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you use a backpack for surf fishing? I'm trying to find something that will enable we to be completely mobile (and comfortable casting). It needs a cooler as well and the ability to lash on rod holders, etc.

There are plenty out there but I am hoping for a recommendation. I don't want a cart , I'm trying to go light and fast.

I've got enough packs at the house I'm considering making something myself, but the cooler requirement is going to complicate it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Check the H20 express from Academy Sporting Goods.... I've bought and sold a dozen of those of the years, and they're very nice quality. Has a bottom zip cooler, and two rod holders built in.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o...olor=Blue+with+Gray/Orange+Accent&N=272574546

NOTE: I don't think the current generation has the cooler... My previous ones definitely did. Maybe that's why I got so many of them at the auction, they might have been closing out the previous generation?

Reactions: jcinnb and dbeam

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do you plan on running all over the beach with this backpack? The light and fast thing doesn't make sense to me. I'd get a cart. I walk everywhere with mine, carry up to 6 rods if I want, a full size cooler, and all the tackle I need, and barely have to put forth an effort to move spot to spot.

Now if its a transport issue that is completely understandable. They take up a lot of room.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cover a lot of ground, walk nearly a mile to get to my favorite spot. There's no way I'm hauling a cart that far. Don't get me wrong, I know a cart has it's place, but not for this application. I also walk over some very soft sand and cut through a marsh

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Sounds like you fish a certain island I know lol. I'll post a pic of my buddies and my packs when we fished the end of said island if I can find it. Imagine an old external frame hiking pack with two rod holders lashed to the side and a mini cooler tied on to the sleeping bag rack lol. My twelve foot rods looked like antennas and we got some looks but it was surprisingly functional

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dicks sells a field and stream waist pack (called the field commander maybe) for $25. Enough storage for most surf applications and you can carry rods by sticking them down the back of it. For the cooler part just get a lunch box with a shoulder strap

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 11 dollar rod pack from ltd that carries 6 rods,holders tackle and lights.I never use my cart anymore!!Sounds cheap but works well,carries like a rifle!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
NCRabbit do you have a link or better name on that? I cant find it. I want to see it :)

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I have a 11 dollar rod pack from ltd that carries 6 rods,holders tackle and lights.I never use my cart anymore!!Sounds cheap but works well,carries like a rifle!!
I think I have the same one. It doesn't see much use because I rarely fish from the shore and when I do it is in places I can drive the truck right up to.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
if money isnt a huge issue check out the shimano black moon backpacks. insane amount of storage for the size and believe it has rod holders on the sides. Cooler requirement is a little tough, may be best off with a stringer tied to your belt and walk the suds

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Several years ago, I used a cheap plastic covered back pack to fish from the surf. I used it when I was only going to trout fish, and went light so I could walk the beach easily. It worked great for what I was doing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts